1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes working in your school difficult?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Jul 17, 2011.

1. At times I get very frustrated with aspects of my school which make my job difficult. Sometimes I feel that there are enough demands and difficulties from the government and children without additional barriers being put in my, and my colleagues', way. When I try to be constructive and raise these obstructions and difficulties with SMT I get the impression that I'm being unreasonable and unrealistic and certainly things don't change. So I'm wondering if my school is typical. Are there things which make your job extra difficult but which could be dealt with?

2. September

September New commenter

No your school is not typical.

3. For me it all tracks back to one thing....
    SMT/SLT being reactive in their approach to fending off OFSTED by data dat data rather than thinking long term and empowering teachers and kids.
    Every little thing that annoys most staff members links back to strange attempt to please the OFSTED folk.

4. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

My main frustrations are:
    1. Short termism of SMT
    And to give some balance...
    2. Inconsistency of some teaching staff in applying basic school expectations

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

interminable terms...

6. the behaviour of the children
    the lack of proper times tables rote learning
    insufficient rooms for the number of the non-class groups
    the tendancy of 'loaned' resources to disappear
    hmm - i do have it easy, really [​IMG]

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A tiny minority of colleagues.
    The majority make it better and easier though. The old 80:20 rule in action again!

8. A severe lack of cake.

cyolba, thinking with his ample belly again :)

9. dust, heat,
    more than 95 % of my students speak English as a 2nd 3rd or 4th Language.
    Too much demand for extra work, extra tests, practice papers from the students.

10. hmmmm!

11. Lack of equipment, and students that don't respect what we do have so everything is all lost and broken, and staff that don't manage to INSIST on getting everything back. So with every lesson the multilink is multiplied by some number between zero and 1.
    Students that think it's gay to bother bringing a calculator to school. Re lending them out, see above.
    No text books in KS3 at all, none for students to take home in KS4. So homework and practice work needs to be photocopied, which is a hassle and bad for the environment and
    Pressure to reduce the photocopying bill even given the above.
    The fact that we are expected to give detentions all the time. And chase up non-attendance, and schedule further detentions as a sanction. Any behaviour issue is met with "Have you given a detention?" So sick of detention detention detention all the time. It's not even an effective sanction, the kids either don't bother to show or they accept it happily, and blithely gobble up an hour of your afterschool time, then misbehave again.
    Willies drawn on EVERYTHING. Desks, chairs, text books, stationery, newly painted walls, displays.
    That's it. Not the end of the world, but if anyone's waving any magic wands....

12. DM

DM New commenter

We fixed the equipment problem this term. Every student has to show their form teacher a pen, pencil, ruler, planner and scientific calculator each morning or they get a sanction. Three sanctions = an after-school detention. I have gone from giving out between 5 and 10 pens each lesson and calculators to three quarters of the class to issuing no equipment at all. Perhaps you should ask your SLT to implement the same rule? We expected some opposition from parents but did not receive a single complaint.

13. DM

DM New commenter

I should point out that every detention in my school is served. I could imagine this wouldn't work if the detention system is not already effective. I would also suggest that detentions are served in the Hall after school and not with individual teachers.

14. We used to have a detention in the Hall run by SLT. They got rid of it.