1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes an outstanding Science lesson?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by melba, Oct 7, 2007.

1. I really want to achieve it, being observed next week and would appreciate a sort of checklist to help.

I know Scientific enquiry is a must but I really want my science lessons to have that wow to it!Thanks

2. I really want to achieve it, being observed next week and would appreciate a sort of checklist to help.

I know Scientific enquiry is a must but I really want my science lessons to have that wow to it!Thanks

3. Checklist??? Stuff that!

Give the children a hypothesis to test using an experiment (eg sugar dissolves more quickly when the water is hotter), and then children make a graph of the results to check the hypothesis. Opens up discussion, investigation, data handling and safety (water not above 50 degrees).

Of course depends what year group you teach.

4. Did you mean a checklist for yourself?

If so will reply properly later when have more time - kids in bed in other words!!

5. I got an outstanding on a Science lesson with year 2 and the inspector seemed to particularly like the challenge I gave to teh HA through questioning during the plenary and the experiment itself. If it's year 2 and you want to look at my plan I can email it to you.

C

6. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

cecille- I would love to have a look at your plan because I have a performance management observation very soon and I have year 2. Thank you
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

7. Cecille, could i please have a copy of your plan too, i am year 2 and have an observation next week, thank you trudi_60@yahoo.co.uk

8. You should all have mail!

C

9. Hi, yes I meant a checklist for myself.It's year 3 about the absorbency of paper.

Cecille that'd be really helpful thanks!

melba183@hotmail.com

10. You have mail!

11. Thank you!

12. A good lesson starter - appealing to all learning styles (visual, auditory, kinaesthetic) which grabs the attention of the class.

Perhaps start by introducing a scenario :
    e.g. The Head is unhappy with the quality of the paper towels in the school (or something similar) and so wants to know which brand is the best performing one.

Clear SC1 and Sc3 objectives which you make known to the children. Make sure you are clear what the progression in SC1 skills is in the 3 strands so that you are catering for their ability and know the next steps in their learning.

Cater for the More able, the less able, the IEP children if appropriate and any EAL children.

Define roles when they do practical work - they can wear badges e.g time keeper, resources(equipment) manager etc...

Give the children some sense of rsponsibilty for their planning if it is not planned already
    - e.g. choose the equipment from a selection
    choose HOW to test the papers for absorbency

Your questioning before they start practical work and afterwards in your plenary is vital to get them thinking.

Keep an eye on the time - in practical lessons it is for some groups who need support, to fall behind.

Go through any health and safety points before they begin the practical work - e.g. slipping on water on the floor.

If you are using a recording sheet of any sort - make sure you stretch the more able - they can be contrained by these if you are not careful.

Use any adult help fully and make sure they have a copyof your lesson plan in advance with their role defined during the different parts of your lesson.

Plan for all eventualities/mishaps.
    e.g. Have some results ready incase the practical work doesn't work or doesn't get to the right place for your plenary

Hope the above random ideas are of some help.
    Cherryfield :0)

13. johndeere

johndeere New commenter

14. How did the science lesson go?