1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes an outstanding lesson?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by getrichquick, Mar 26, 2011.

1. I have been teaching now for 5 years. Our new head teacher came last year, and all teachers in my school have been observed by him once a half term since. In each of my lessons, I have been graded as "good." I have then taken the feedback and implemented it. I can't seem to be able to get an "outstanding" grading. I have asked the head teacher what he would class as outstanding, but didn't get an answer. What would you personally class as criteria for an outstanding lesson?

2. Ask him to demonstrate one then.

3. I might try that, it could be quite interesting.

4. Make sure you have a permanent contract first! Joking aside I think it is a serious issue that many teachers are being graded and advised by people who would not dream of putting their own advice into practice for all to see.

5. I'm beginning to think that outstanding lessons are a myth!

6. It's all very subjective.

OFSTED criteria for an Outstanding lesson: "All the criteria for ?good? are met and teaching is at least good in all respects and is exemplary in significant elements. The teaching engenders an infectious enthusiasm and enjoyment of learning among the pupils. A range of teaching methodologies and resources is used to stimulate interest, promote creativity and encourage pupils to think and learn independently. Planning is based on a thorough knowledge of pupils? attainment and their strengths and weaknesses. Excellent subject knowledge and understanding of the demands of public examinations, where appropriate, ensures that pupils are very well prepared to take these and any entrance requirements for their next phase of education. As a result, pupils thrive and make exceptionally good progress. Assessment records and reports are focused, detailed and clearly indicate the amount of progress made."

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it, you still get paid the same. Anyway, I thought it was considered bad practice for OFSTED and HTs to grade lessons.

7. I wouldn't worry about a head judging you as outstanding. Being consistently good is sustainable but even the best teachers will only teach a couple of outstanding lessons each week.
    A lot of heads are scared to give too many outstandings in case ofsted don't agree.

8. Have a look at the outstanding teaching wiki