1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes an outstanding EY teacher?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by L10, Nov 28, 2011.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

Just as the title suggests, I'm currently graded as good, but how can I become outstanding? Is this too ambitious? I am new to EY as of Sept.
    Thanks

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think you are doing very well to be good after such a short time in EY.

3. sadika

sadika New commenter

We have just had an Ofsted inspection ... overall good and quite honestly I haven't a clue how we could have achieved "outstanding" - we couldn't work any more hours or any harder ... unless we gave up any other life and moved in at weekends maybe ...!!!! It was something to do with not all the children showing "progress" whilst they were observing - there is a thread on here about this subject. Again I don't know what they were looking for in such a short time ... anyway they've been and sanfairyann to them!!!
    Actually on our 2nd Ofsted, quite a few years ago I did get one of only two "outstanding" lessons - for PE! and the inspector said the lesson ticked all her boxes (whatever that meant!) and now our EY children do not do PE as such anymore ...
    Sorry - not much help to you - I'm at the end of my career and quite honestly I've been there, got the t-shirt, jumped through many hoops, and I'll be glad to leave all this inadequate/satisfactory/good/outstanding labels well behind!
    If you want to be "outstanding" read up the Ofsted criteria - but be warned by the time you've sorted that out they will have moved the goal posts! Good luck! and just do you best for the children!

4. To be outstanding you have to have the children's vote and the parents' vote and the doubtful colleagues this you can't get in one year. It requires consistency and grit and disappointment and struggle and hard-won authority - it is not a one-year wonder.
    NO-one knows if your first year was just that - a whole lot of goodwill and luck, enthusiasm and benefit of the doubt, not to mention supportive colleagues, may have carried you on your way. (no doubt you'll have a lot of talent). Remember fools rush in where angels fear to tread and no doubt some of what the label 'good' has encouraged you to believe will turn out to make you cringe in later years and may just as well be quite damaging to you at this stage as it make you less prone to self-doubt and to change things. It is such a broad brush and almost certainly was based on limited evidence and not an engagement with your gut struggles as an early years teacher.
    You will almost cerainly at some point have to really get stuck into the messy business of how young children learn and will generally be forced to stand-up for this in schools which are usually heavily weighted towards favouring the more obvious learning styles of older children.
    As a previous poster said - well done but take it and other people's judgements with a pinch of salt. There are many political agendas that might make a 'good', in fact there are just as many reasons for worrying about being labelled 'good' as there are reservations about whose is the 'excellence'.
    Probably by many of the criteria of today's lesson observation, or proforma measurement of 'teaching' Margaret Macmillan, Tina Bruce, MOntessori, Froebel would not get excellent grades. Excellence is perhaps a process rather than a final state. You don't 'get it', you live it within yourself by distinct criteria which only you can sift out of life's contrary winds and let it echo through your own voice. Good luck!
    Here's a poem.... for if the going gets tough next grading round..
    SPECIAL MEASURES
    The inspector didn't listen to my request
    he said he thought it best
    to sit down and listen whilst he spoke,
    then another joke
    he told, was how to do
    my job according to
    the paper that he'd brought.
    THe boxes with the ticks
    weren't quite enough to fit
    the regular four-cornered profile
    and therefore proved
    how far I was removed
    and had to be a three-cornered imbecile,
    or worse, of course,
    I bordered on the tragic
    no-cornered circle.

The inspector wouldn't listen to my request,
    he said he thought it best
    I sit down and listen
    and learn to be a shape
    that fitted the sorting gate
    and smoothly seived,
    but not to worry,
    he believed
    there was no hurry,
    he'd give me eighteen months
    and call me 'special measures',
    so I could return to the factory
    and there re-learn
    to be 'satisfactory'.

I don't want to appear cynical, OFSTED and other people's views can be helpful grist to the mill but they can also infantilize us and reduce our growth- remember the hand on the grinder is yours. . AlI want to say is 'be careful- be wary of greeks - and SMTs'- bearing gifts' Good luck. Long may you stay working in the early years-
    Whosoever works with young children is priveleged to be working so close to life's own spring; a place of light and energy and infinite variety. Such energy can be tiring and at times produces doubt, confusion, powerlessness and even anger. These in turn release greater effort, more sensitive observation and discovery of long forgotten knowledge inside ourselves.
    The children in their turn ask that we show interest in them, play alongside them and share in the tiny fascinations of the world in which they act with openness and affection. They ask for our attention to seeming nothingness. They repay us by revealing the immensity of love and understanding we possess. Thus they show us how to become teachers. Takes more than a year or two!

5. .... how can Ofsted expect all children to show 'progress' during their child - initiated learning? They may choose to apply a skill they have just learnt, or they may not! Or do they just expect progress during the adult-led activities? I don't understand!!! For the original poster, you are doing well to be graded 'good' in Foundation Stage, don't worry!

6. While doing my teaching degree I spent 3 years developing an educational philosophy. I think it's easy to forget what you considered good practice while training compared to the daily demands and expectations of everyone who's not in the classroom with you and who don't know your children as well as you!

7. sadika

sadika New commenter

.... how can Ofsted expect all children to show 'progress' during their child - initiated learning? They may choose to apply a skill they have just learnt, or they may not! Or do they just expect progress during the adult-led activities? I don't understand!!!

My point exactly!!!!! We have 44 reception and 26 nursery children and it's beyond me how they are all expected to show progress every session and how we are supposed to see it ... the mind boggles for our sanity!!!! Eg: for some children visiting the snack table on their own initiative and tidying up after themselves is real progress ... but how would Ofsted know this and recognise that as such???? Just as an aside they thought our snack provision and the way the children used it was "excellent"!!! (It was nearly as it always is with addition of a small vase of flowers!) - maybe we could go into childrens' cafes??!!!

8. If every child shows progress in every lesson every day all through their school career when will they consolidate their learning?

9. This ' every child showing progress in every lesson' is rubbish. I'm new to EYFS and am noticing some children only <u>now </u>beginning to mark make, find their own resources to make something etc etc. These children have been making progress for weeks, practising and practising at lots of different things. So when a child comes up to you with 4 cvc words written on a scrappy piece of paper that they have felt the need to write down and can then read them to me, I want to jump for joy! And shout YES!!!! these children are learning!!! And sigh with relief that I'm doing my job[​IMG]
    Louise

10. L10

L10 New commenter

Thanks for your thoughts, just got to keep going !