1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes an 'outstanding' drama lesson?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by ellie22, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I am confused... I use levels all the time at KS3, did I misunderstand? Sorry if I did... it's been a long day!

El x

2. Most schools choose to use levels in drama at KS3. Certainly our schools requires that I do for consistency. However, there are no statutory requirements to use levels at KS3 because we're not a foundation subject and there are no NC levels.

3. "I'm an NQT struggling to reconcile what I consider to be a good drama lesson with what the powers that be consider 'good' or 'outstanding'."
    Hi There, make your own assessment matrix based on what you consider important aspects of behaviours and skills in your lesson (i'm guessing "imagination", "sustained roleplay", "teamwork" "listening" etc. could feature)
    Make your own strands and levels, and share these explicitly and repeatedly with the kids, formalising it with wall displays, levels cards, report language etc.
    Steve

4. None are ratified... it's all madness but yes your school may well want you to show some... we've made ours up!!! When ofsted visited they said they were innovatory! They were published in Teaching Drama a while back and are v user friendly. More than happy to send you them if you contact me on wheellerplays@gmail.com

5. I made my own too - very much to suit me and the students I teach. I put them on the resources section on here. See what you think.

6. Thanks all. I'm so glad that people understand what I'm saying, nobody here does!
    An example would be, in an early lesson with Yr 7 which involves freeze frames (Darkwood manor scheme - I'm sure lots of you know it) I might start by getting the kids exploring the gardens of the manor with me narrating, imagining themselves there, then creating freeze frames of the scary statues they see. This then leads onto a brief discussion of what makes a good freeze frame, but only after they have already made some instinctively through imaginative engagement and know what they are talking about. I always try to focus on the story/theme/play with the skills coming out of that organically, I believe that when the kids actually have something to say in their drama, they say it much better. Contrast this with what I have been told to do, which is spend ten minutes at the start of the lesson going through the criteria of 'what makes a good freeze frame', and outlining the various levels and sub levels they can meet through their freeze frames, which will then be levelled and assessed throughout the lesson by peers and teacher. All this is completely divorced from the context of the lesson and is pretty dull and unengaging, and I just don't get how or why it is supposed to help their learning.

I've actually found some levels in school which cover more the kind of thing I'm interested in, so they must have been used here at some point, so I'm going to discuss them with the HOD.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

7. That sounds like a lovely lesson! I can only comment generally but as a HoD and Line Manager I'd like to see that lesson taught in my dept. I find the focus on levels, etc. quite difficult and sometimes summing up the learning in a pithy 'learning objective' doesn't quite fit the way we learn in drama. I find ways of doing them as I can see the benefits in many ways but I try not to get too hung up on them and I feel the same when I'm observing lessons.

8. work sleep work - please could i have a copy of your manor SOW?
    Regards Smile

9. Can I be cheeky and ask for a copy of your levels - currently doing our own work on levelling but extra input would be gratefully received. Shall I email?

To original post, most drama teachers I know use the Arts Council levels and then tweak them. They need muchos updating though as they were published 2001. Good luck with it all.

10. Oops should have mentioned that first bit was for eedsud - sorry.

11. Hi Smile, what is your email address?

12. Hello All
    I just dropped into this discussion and found it interesting. I am a consultant and an inspector, so I get to see many faces of this problem. There is no expectation of a particular way of teaching your lesson, but it helps if
    a. the students have some ownership of the assessment process
    b. you and they share a sense of progression
    c. if, together, you deconstruct some of the achievement, learning and pitfalls.
    Are levels important? Yes. As a practitioner, I devised my own, adding to the already published options. I chose language that could be understood by parents, colleagues and the pupils. I ensured that at the top end, the language overlapped with the GCSE. I wanted to ensure that all could see clear progression in the strands, but could also see that children do not progress equally across all criteria, and that children will sometimes move backwards!

13. Thanks JohnHucker, it#'s interesting to have an inspector's point of view!

Miss Smile - I have realised I only have paper versions at the moment, I'll be typing up my plans soon (a half term job . . .) so will email them to you as soon as I've done that.

14. hello - thank you - if you'd like any SOW's let me know smile ;o)