1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a successful head of department?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by greenfrog, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I am looking to move into the head of department role for English in my career as a primary teacher in an independent school and I would like to gather ideas as to how best to manage a successful department in this subject area.
    Thanks for your comments in advance.

2. Anyone?

3. I have no idea about primary schools but at my school there is a leadership programme focussing on management skills for anyone looking to climb up the ladder. I'm currently 2i/c in my English department at secondary school and the whole idea I've been given is about non-confrontational management and how to influence people - a lot of it seems to be coming over from corporate training models.

4. Hi greenfrog,
    Developing a successful team can be a very challenging, bringing together a team of people who often work independently. I would try and develop a collaborative and coaching culture. Bringing in all team members to contribute to discussions and policy will often result in a strong team. My three pieces of advice for any team leader are: communicate, communicate and communicate! I have lost count of the times in my courses where colleagues have complained that leaders are keeping things from them and colluding with Senior Management - this is often just percieved, but can be undermining. So be transparent and communicate everything you do, ask your department for advice, bring about change in a sustainable manner, and build great relationships and your team will follow you to the ends of earth. Omega Learning