1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Makes A Good Teacher ?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by bethxox, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Hi , I'm currently in sixth form and have been asked to do an extend project.
    I have chosen to do it on a topic related to teaching. The question which i want to look at is ... what makes a good teacher ?
    I would really appreciate any input to what you think makes a good teacher and why ?

Thank you :)

2. OP,
    As Pedro said, you probably need to be a little more specific in your question. Personally, if I was tackling this at your age, then I would be looking to identify the WHO that your question is aimed at. As Pedro pointed out, if you ask a teacher, student, parent or inspector then you will get different responses. Who's responses are you interested in? I would probably start by looking at the 'official' guidelines (basic Google search will tell to what HMI is looking for when they inspect a school), and then seeing whether your target group (e.g. fellow students) agree by conducting questionnaires/ semi-structured interviews etc. Could make for an interesting project.
    Again, if you provide more specifics on the nature of the project you are likely to get tailored responses that help you more.

3. avd1978

avd1978 New commenter

Have a read through this thread: http://www.ted.com/conversations/3963/what_is_the_difference_between_3.html

4. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I would love you to run OFSTED [​IMG]

5. Thanks for the comments and inputs.

adv1978 - Thanks for the link, I found it extremely useful and very helpful

Thank you

bethxox

6. Beth - another source for research, try #ASEChat on Twitter. Monday night's was on what makes an exemplary science teacher. Some good responses can be found by directly searching the hashtag, or the summary is at http://www.ase.org.uk/news/ase-chat/.

Good luck with the project!

MS

7. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

8. Subject knowledge.

Confidence.

Good communication skills.

Sense of humour.

You'll hopefully get a long list, of contradictory, qualities and abilities that teachers on this forum think make a good teacher.

I've posted the 4 above mainly to feel like I've contributed before asking how you plan to use the information gathered form this forum.in your EPQ.

If all you are doing is getting some ideas before putting together a proper survey then fine, but it's definitely not research that conclusions can be drawn on.

You will need a lot of secondary research ? What is your question? It also helps if you can put 2 opposing views. I'd suggest going for the conflict between subject knowledge and interpersonal skills. Compare different education systems in the world, what do they value? Research done on the topics. Are teachers genuinely interested in cognitive psychology and science or do they rely on anecdote.

An interesting place for you ti start so you can get some idea of the depth of research out there would be a blog by oldandrew called "Scenes from the battleground".

Good luck. I assume that from your topic you're planning on applying for a teaching degree, or intend to go into teaching. Oh and don't whatever you do let any prejudices you have show.

Gavin

9. You only have to turn up four times a week to be a good teacher - you're an outstanding one.

10. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I asked this question years ago, at the sametime i aksed what makes a bad teacher, i got more responses of what makes a bad teacher than a good one.

What does this say about our profession?

(god that sounds militant)

11. Hi bethxox,
    Personally, I know that my pupils like that I am passionate about my subject and will invest my energy in helping them to get better at it and enjoy it. They also really value the teachers who are fair and who take the time to get to know them as individuals, not just as potential exam results.

One thought for you; on a recent training, an 'expert' declared that as teachers, we should describe ourselves as 'teachers of children' rather than 'teachers of X subject'. For some, that may the case, and I know that I can teach other subjects and age ranges if necessary. But my real motivation for teaching is that I love my subject and want to share that with others. I'm sure that if I lost my own enthusiasm and interest, my teaching would be less inspiring.

Good luck with your project.

12. My opinion on what makes a good teacher:
    High level subject knowledge.
    Well organised.
    In it for the long-run.
    Good attendance and punctual.
    Hard-working.
    Meets deadlines.
    Applies school policies.
    The view of a good teacher currently being applied in many schools:
    Young
    Cheap
    Matey with pupils
    Energetic (bouncing off the walls)
    Easily swayed by faddy new ideas about teaching.
    Willing to do lots of extra-curricular work.
    Subject knowledge - optional
    Here today, gone tomorrow.

13. Thank you all for your replies that are greatly appreciated.

Moonstalker59: Thank for that link it was really useful. thank you !
    Gavin thanks for the comment it is extremely helpful and yes this is just to get a few ideas for the topic and I am currently carrying out further research within school, and thanks for the advice.

Tea and Cakes and Billybong - thank you so much for the comments there great and exactly what I was hoping for!! They will be very useful

Thank again everybody ! :)

14. A good teacher is someone who knows that teaching is their calling. You know it is what you want to do despite everything. From this you will develop a passion. Wanting to impart your own experiences onto the next generation in order to make them aware of the relevance of education and the opportunities available to them and to improve the life chances of others. Patience is important. Result and progression do not always happen quickly, but being consistent in everything you do is important in education especially in behaviour and classroom management. Being spontaneous also has a place within education. I find the building a relationship with your class if possible harder in secondary sometimes, is important, know them, know there world show them that we all learn together and they have as much to impart as we do. Make them understand that you are human but this has to be conducted in a special way or some may feel they can take advantage. Always leave a child with a question to thank about in positive and negative situations allow children to think beyond themselves.
    Understanding and supportive. We are more than teachers we provide pastriol care. It always works well when you go from the child's perspective find out what they know like understand what needs aspire to, going back to knowing them, even beginning a lesson.

All the above comes with experience. Give yourself time. Speak to other professionals who love the job and you will become your own self over many years of observing others, teaching others, exposed to different children. All this is part of skill building and in teaching we learn all the time. I know I do.

15. Thank you for all these great responses. They are really helpful.
    Thank you crimescene for you response to the question. It was just what I was hoping for and has been really useful thank you.
    Thank again everybody [​IMG]