1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a good science club?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Kate80, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Kate80

Kate80 New commenter

Any ideas? We have one at the min (11-16 school) but not sure if it's "good" or not. What should I be looking for to know it's going in the right direction?
    Ta

2. Kate80

Kate80 New commenter

Any ideas? We have one at the min (11-16 school) but not sure if it's "good" or not. What should I be looking for to know it's going in the right direction?
    Ta

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Are the pupils being enthused by the science? Is their science knowledge/ understanding being extended/ broadened at all?

4. The primary purpose should be enjoyment and the generation of enthusiasm for science. Self contained activities for each session with something for the pupils to do or make work best for us. I dont think learning and progression are important, otherwise it just becomes another science lesson. Our pupils have not responded well to longer term projects either.

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I agree, I meant do things that you can't reasonably do in class because it doesn't "fit" with the NC etc. nothing more but it does depend on the level of the club, for example I run a KS3 and KS4 science clubs.

6. Why dont you let them decide what they want to do? We have been struggling with numbers but since we have empowered our students (mainly Year 7 and 8), they keep coming back !
    We have a 45 mins slot and run the club on Fridays.