1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a good plenary?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, May 24, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I was just wondering what is considered to be a good plenary? Is it just something that looks at whether they have met the learning objectives, like looking back and them and the success criteria and discussing whether they've been met or doing a thumbs up, thumbs down type thing? Or should a good, effective plenary be something more than that?

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I was just wondering what is considered to be a good plenary? Is it just something that looks at whether they have met the learning objectives, like looking back and them and the success criteria and discussing whether they've been met or doing a thumbs up, thumbs down type thing? Or should a good, effective plenary be something more than that?

3. Hey, I think this is a matter of opinion. I think a good plenary will do all of what you said. I would also reinforce what they have learnt and give an example of where it will be useful to children in future work or even life in general! I would also discuss what the follow on lesson will focus on or give them a thought to leave the lesson with. Oh and obviously asking children to show some work and peer assess using success criteria, giving one thing they could improve on.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sometimes a plenary may just be a quick "Yes I've /No I haven't met the objectives, but sometimes a pleary lends itself to being a 'quick summary' of 'What I learnt today' (or What I Now Know).

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A good plenary is entirely off the cuff. Not every lesson needs one and it saddens me that student teachers are seemingly still being told that they do.
    A plenary will consolidate understanding or inform the teacher who's learned what they should have and who hasn't.
    It might be a few questions thrown out, linked to what's been done in the lesson or it may be a quick piece of AFL to see if the kids have understood. It may be an AFL question based on where you think the next lesson on the sequence will go.
    Regardless of what the plenary involves, it should be off the cuff and never planned. A lesson with a planned plenary is likely to have been a bad lesson, ie scripted and followed verbatim rather than adjusted according to the children's needs and degree of progress made.
    I must admit to rarely 'pleneing' at the end of a lesson. Far more likely and more useful that such conversations crop up mid-lesson.
    May the strategy hour gods strike me down.

6. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I got severely told off on my observation before last because I didn't stop the main activity of the lesson for my plenary! I didn't stop it because I felt like it was going so well that the 10 minutes would have been best spent on that rather than the plenary but apparently, that was a bad call according to my tutor.

7. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I think the plenary is a BIG waste of time! I don't know about other European countries, but we never did it in Canada!

8. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I don't think it's always a waste of time personally. I did a maths lesson with my class and did a thumbs up thumbs down type plenary and those that gave me shaky thumbs, I asked them why they were shaky and not thumbs up, which helped me know what I needed to do to help them get to where they needed to be. Though a plenary for the sake of a plenary is pointless really.

9. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

10. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

From "What Makes a Good Lesson According to Ofsted" -
    The purpose of the plenary is to
    <font size="5"></font><font size="5" face="Arial,Arial">consolidate </font><font size="5" face="Arial,Arial"></font>learning

It can take many forms
    <font size="5">
    It can occur at any time or in smaller parts

It is
    </font><font size="5" face="Arial,Arial">not </font><font size="5" face="Arial,Arial"></font>just a question and answer section revising lesson although it might be sometimes

It could be:
    <font size="5">
    A written problem solving exercise using lesson learning

A challenge to achieve a goal using lesson learning

An analysis of materials using lesson learning

A presentation using lesson learning

A homework activity using lesson learning

A research project using lesson learning

A quiz using lesson learning
    </font>