1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a good learner?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkang, Sep 4, 2011.

1. pinkang

pinkang New commenter

Need some inspiration. Im returning to work tomoz after a year off and returning to my first year 1 class. The HT likes us to have a display of 'What makes a good learner' up on the wall as a permanent display, so we can remind the children when they need reminding. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make this display a bit different and exciting? Thanks x

2. pinkang

pinkang New commenter

Need some inspiration. Im returning to work tomoz after a year off and returning to my first year 1 class. The HT likes us to have a display of 'What makes a good learner' up on the wall as a permanent display, so we can remind the children when they need reminding. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make this display a bit different and exciting? Thanks x

3. Creativity in displays is really not my strong point but was just wondering if your school should have the same features of a good learner on display throughout for consistency sake? It would make for a simple staff meeting to discuss the features.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about making this a focus of your first circle time /PSHE session, so children come up with their ideas, decide how to present them for a display and hey presto!

5. I agree the children should do it, it's a fairly meaningless display for the children otherwise.

6. I have done this before where we have had circle time about what we come to school for and what makes a good learner. Ch generate ideas - with help if needed. Then children worked in 2s or 3s to freeze frame one of the ideas - eg, asks questions, takes risks, makes mistakes, looks for links in their learning. They then showed their freeze frame to the rest of the class who had to guess what the group was doing. I photographed the freeze frame and displayed it with the relevant attribute. Instant display and it involves the children so they can see themselves being good learners. Hope this helps.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We are doing something similar with year 2. We will think more about all the different ways we can learn and make headings. Then gradually 'catch them' working in that way and photographing them. The photos will go with the headings.

So headings will be things like 'listening', 'working well together', reading' and so on. They will stay all year. Then photos added to the display over the year. By the end of the year there should be a whole montage of all the different ways we have learned.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you could do something similar with a main header of 'A Good Learner is someone who...' and then have the examples.

Personally I would prefer to have them showing the behaviours in normal lessons rather than pose for the photos.