1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a good Leader/Head of Department ?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Ella_of_Frell, Apr 22, 2008.

1. For me, as an NQT, that would be someone who is supportive but who is also able to offer constructive criticism without antagonising people or worse, discourage them. Needless to say that this is my ideal HOD and not what I am experiencing at the moment.

I'd also add, but this is only my personal opinion, that I'd like a HOD who is also interested in you as a person and not just another teacher. But I know some people who don't like this.

Communication is the key. I know it is sounds very cliche, but it makes such a difference when you can talk with your HOD.

Good luck with your interview!

Ella x

2. I had a HoD interview a couple of weeks ago. I posted the questions I was asked on the prof. devel. forum yesterday - they may help!

3. A good leader in any walk of life is someone who is willing to do everything he/she is asking someone else to do.

4. I think good leadership, like good teaching, is largely about relationships. You have to make people fee valued, motivate them, allow to them to share your vision and work towards it.