1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a good advisor?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MrsMusgrove, Jul 8, 2016.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When I first moved to KS1 a consultant the school used (due to me having no clue what I was doing and sharing the year group with a supply teacher new to England and the English education system) was an absolute godsend.

She didn't look incredulous when I asked probably very basic questions, gave me heaps of advice in the most kind and tactful of ways and let me have her email to ask anything at any time. She came into lessons in a supportive way, smiled at me lots throughout and generally gave me lots of confidence.

She was also a very effective advocate with SLT about good practice in KS1 and supported me in many discussions with them. She was also supportive about the workload and emotional toll involved in taking on a new role and supporting someone utterly without knowledge or ability in the parallel class.

Oh and she knew about courses locally and helped me insist to SLT that they were needed.

I'm not sure I'd have made it through that first year without her.

I have never met you @MrsMusgrove but I picture you as very similar to her, so I'm sure you will be fabulous.

DrEmmaKell likes this.
  2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I had a consultant work with me when I had to teach English, without having done it before. She came and taught me very tricky class, which was a real eye opener. When I knew she was a fantastic teacher it made it much easier to follow and respect her advice.

I had an advisor visit me a few years ago and on his action plan, it said implement strategies with immediate effect, but didn't give me a clue as to which strategies. He was really supportive but a list of strategies so I could use it as a tick list would have been far more helpful.

I think it is key to listen, show you know what you are doing by being prepared to put your money where your mouth is and keep positive.

Good luck.