1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What made you decide you wanted to teacher?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Reecedouglas1, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Reecedouglas1

Reecedouglas1 New commenter

Was it quite early in life or later in life

For me it was quite later in life , I decided I wanted to share my knowledge and experience of life back to young people of today

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It was from childhood for me. I had a fantastic Year 3 teacher, who inspired me, as I wanted t be able to teach and have an impact on other children's lives, as she'd had on mine.
    That desire stayed with me right until the end, though having said that I wouldn't recommend anyone now going into teaching for more than 10-12 years. It is a very different job now and w do need passionate new teachers, but they need to plan their get-out before burn-out nowadays.

Dodros likes this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The holidays.

George_Randle and lardylady like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Being able to spell was a good trait to have! And being especially thick skinned and sarcasm proof like you! ;)

5. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I was tired of working in the financial sector, pressured to sell products that people didn't need, with PPI, that people didn't need. Wanted a more ethical job so chose public sector! Failed at my Probation Officer interview, teaching was number two choice. Haven't looked back....yet...

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I've always wanted to be a teacher, because i liked the idea of bossing people about and marking in red pen.

Mermaid7, SCAW12, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Secondary age for me, inspired by a great teacher.

Love your confidence.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

As a kid I swim trained every night at one of Blackpool's (mainly) fab pools. A lady approached me and asked me would I teach her son (she had seen me swimming and she must have thought that physical performance equated with teaching ability. Anyway I found myself aged about 14 with a Saturday pupil ! In my 5th year I took the Royal Lifesaving Society's Instructor award which entailed me having 6 pupils for Bronze Medallion award (4 of whom had to pass - and all did!) I am still in touch with 2 of them:) Add in the fact that our PE teacher had remarried and wasn't too keen on extra curricular matches or practices - which I then took.... it seems I was fated to teach :) Of course I was naturally bossy - the ex made that clear, and Harry Enflied modelled his "You don't want to do it like that " character ...on me !
    My mother was determined I was to be a teacher. My rather growth- restricted English teacher told her at 5th year parent's evening that I would be hard pushed to pass English language (she didn't like me at all from the day I held a door open for her and she walked in under my arm!) Granted I wasn't too good at précis..... as is obvious from my posts on here, but luckily for me they seemed to have dropped that off the papers. However my mother gave me grief re English revision for ever after. I got a grade 1!
    Mother saw the gleam of the 'long teacher holidays' and thought it a marvellous career. She had left school at 16 despite gaining a creditable school certificate having been a pupil at Stockport Grammar. She had been steered towards bookkeeping as grandfather had a good coal business and into the business she went at 16.Her younger sister was allowed to stay on but then there was 10 years between them in age. Mother did however howl at me a few times when I was set on teaching PE -"You won't want to be teaching PE at 40"! Oh but I did and I carried on til 58 and would have done longer if not for the knees.
    So it was ordained really and for most of it I have no regrets at all. The last few years after the last awful Ofsted and its repercussions I could have done without, as the LA worked its plan to rid the town of surplus sec school places and schools. The replacement HT they moved in was something else and a fore runner of modern state school "management".
    I tried very hard to dissuade my elder girl from going into teaching - from her choice of degree subject - Eng Lit and my shriek of "You'll end up teaching" and the "Oh No I won't", reply. As usual I was proved right as yet my mother's aspirations to have a family full of teachers materialised as she paid for the girl's PGCE year! I wasn't to know how right I was going to be as now I have an elder child career-less, some mental health issues and a life she has allowed teaching to nigh on ruin.
    I would not be able to recommend teaching as a career for anyone now.... such a shame really.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I’d always seen myself going into teaching at some point in my life, but I was quite late going into it. I think the main reason was because I love learning and I wanted to pass that, and my knowledge, on to others.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. s_teach

s_teach New commenter

Some very inspirational teachers of mine had said that I would make a great teacher ( which I would laugh off- the thought of working in school after leaving school). While at university studying Economics I had two cousins who were teachers and they always went on about how amazing their job was ( mind you this was 10 years ago). Since I graduated in 2009 ( recession) there were no jobs in my field I decided to do a PGCE (most of my fellow graduates went on to do some sort of further education as the job market was dier) and here I am now! I do love my job despite the stresses. I am fortunate enough to be in a good school!

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I genuinely do not know in detail why. I knew when I was an engineering apprentice and studying on day release at the Technical Institute that I wanted to teach, it was just there.

12. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I fell in love with foreign languages at school, beginning with French and Latin and adding German and a little Russian later on. The study of French and German at university gave me the opportunity not only to deepen my passion for these subjects. It also enabled me to experience teaching as an English Language Assistant for a semester at a German university followed by a year in a French secondary school. The second period of language assistantship inspired me to continue with the idea of becoming a teacher in due course while removing any rose-tinted spectacles I may have had about all young people having an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. There were two further incentives to join the teaching profession. First, I had the family role models of my uncle and my aunt, who were English teachers and seemed to lead a more exciting life than my parents did, holidaying abroad at a time when most people never left the country. Secondly, just about everybody in the 1960s who studied foreign languages in higher education went on to teach them in a secondary school.

What I didn't foresee was that my favourite subjects may have led me into schoolteaching but it was my conviction that every child deserved an equal educational opportunity with a broad and balanced curriculum that would lead me into teaching learners with special educational needs within the same mainstream school. Small SEND classes gave me time to view students more as individuals, while teaching them was no longer a solitary task but one underpinned by a multidisciplinary team which helped diagnose and solve problems sometimes before they arose in the classroom. I count myself fortunate to have experienced joy both in my subject and in getting through to some "problem kids" while sharing in some of the miseries that others have described in various threads here. Teaching, like life, is full of ups and downs and experience alone enables us to distinguish between temporary and permanent victories and defeats and to build the resilience to carry on carrying on.

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My head teacher told me to.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The money and the prestige

15. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

I teach mathematics because I jolly good at it. And you can learn a lot yourself, which has been just as well sometimes. Also, it turns out that I am good at teaching Mathematics.
    During my school days I was taught by some great teachers, their role modelling, inspiring etc
    Also I saw some great TV about science and maths, horizon mostly.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Mine was a strange reason
    I had finished 2 years of Bible college and was wondering where GOD wanted me to work in his service. I had only one O level and basic other exams. I had previously been to a career interview and he had previously suggested teaching but I did not have the entry requirements.
    However, s a practising Christion I sought guidance and the words of Ezekiel spoke out from the Bible passages.
    'I am sending you to your own folk to teach even if they will not listen.'
    I thought that is crazy as I don't have qualifications. So I challenged god and said I would study but he would have to help.
    Over the next 2 years, I went to night school, took 5 O level and 3 A levels and surprised my self by passing them. The following year I entered Teacher training college for 3 Years.
    Even arriving in London to teach was not an accident and I have lived here ever since.
    Why teach, well I was 'called' to the job, guided to the place and found a comprehensive grew to love the school and staff and all the miscreants called children, Never looked back, except for a short break undertaking building work, and taught on and off till I was virtually 70 years of age.
    I must say that despite the bad times, I still think teaching for me was a wonderful career and something I adored doing. Then again life was different some 40 years ago!

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you a teacher now?

monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Or - are you a teacher yet?

monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I took a part time job in a school (support role) when my children were small. I had intended to go back into research when they were a bit older. Anyway I saw a lot of teachers not all of them good, and heard some absolute howlers in science classes. I can do better than that I thought, so I did a PGCE and had a go. Almost 20 years on I think I have done a good job.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When I was 17 I took a job at a teacher training college as a Lab tech. I was about the same age as the students. There was I with my O levels and there was the students with their A levels studying for their degrees. Yet day afetr day they would come to the preproom door to get help with their science, maths, spelling etc from me and the other technician. So a seed was planted that if people as thick as these could become teachers then why not me? It wasn't until I was 32 that I decided to leap though. When I became a school Governor in my late 20s the HT of the school suggested that I would make a good teacher.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.