1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What made you decide to leave teaching?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by toastandtea, Apr 1, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

90+ hours a week work load in term time, while being constantly chastised for not working hard enough. regular nights when I didn't have time to go to bed. Never having time for a meal or conversation with my teenagers, during term time.

I left when my youngest was doing GCSEs, as they needed me and I had no time even for passing "hello, how has your day been?" i returned when the youngest left home, and the workload is still a killer, but never more than 80 hours a week in my current job and I would leave immediately if it got worse.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  2. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I really don't understand how people with only teaching responsibility, no HOD jobs etc can be working 80 hour weeks. I work hard, get good results, and get everything done in only very rarely more than 45 hours a week. What do you spend your time doing!? Sorry if that sounds rude, it is a genuine question.

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

@dunnocks will know better than me and I'm sure they'll soon tell you.
    Could be marking policies, expectation to run clubs, after school revision, planning needed in some ridiculous format, need to record behaviour incidents or a myriad of other things.
    I find workload can vary a lot from school to school.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I taught 300 kids a week. Spending just 5 minutes on each kid's book added up to 25 hours a week. Teaching 5 groups of 30 lower school kids day and the discipline policy meant that up to 20 kids a day would be remaining behind after school because of silliness, missed hw and then I had to write it all up to show I had dealt with it. And it wasn't a bad school discipline wise. Multiple data entry points 2 mins per kid= 10 hours each time. Having to deal with multiple last minute requests for work for students internally and externally excluded. Meetings twice a week, having to do catch up lessons in my free time, etc etc Oh and time in the classroom which I enjoyed and teaching my subject which I loved.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The times when I didn't have time to go to bed were when I was teaching BTEC, and had to mark every child's assignments within 7 days of them being handed in, and give them back with feedback, and they would be handed in again, with minimal changes, along side tht week's assignments, which would both be hnded back the next week, and would be handed in again, alongside THAT week's assignements, and so on. By March/ April you could easily be expected to be doing 10+ hours of marking every single day. And 10 + hours of teaching too, including all the 1:1 sessions going through the portfolios with individual students, and catch up sessions. Sometimes I would be teaching 7am-7pm, and taking 10 hours marking home. It was slavery!

Cansada, agathamorse and meggyd like this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

These days its roughly this 24 hours teaching. 10 hours planning. 24 hours marking, 5-10 hours pastoral including phone calls home, parents meeting, 5-10 hours admin, data, etc. 5 hours extracurricular , maybe. Much better, but still too much, I think

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I taught a bit of BTEC in my last couple of years of teaching and it is just one long paperchase, seemingly never-ending marking and assessment with students adding to the chaos by giving you the runaround over undone/late work. An absolute nightmare.

agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  8. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

The constant undermining and micromanagement by bureaucrats that had no knowledge or understanding of my subject or how to teach it. Being patronised by 14 year old managers. The endless demands for more of my time for no more money. The pig ignorant policies that made things worse. The lack of basic resources because the individual at the top is being paid 6 figures, and so are half a dozen of his mates. The obscene accountability system that puts absolute power over ones career in the hands the head. The endless churn of recycled bad ideas. The constant feeling of having to watch my back. The arrogant, aggressive and violent pupils that were never dealt with. My inability to deal with watching the education of the good kids go down the tubes because of the insanity around me. Most of all the rage at how wasteful all this is. It need never have happened. I wish I believed in hell so that Gove could be in it.

agathamorse and wordsworth like this.