1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What level would you give this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3518, Feb 14, 2012.

1. One of my wishis is to live in a casle and it is gowing to have pink sofoas but the 8 bedroom's are small and 2 of the bedroom's are big. after that I went down to the kichin it was byootful and it was nice but the wals are perpple
    Levelling is hurting my head. I know this is just a single piece but in your opinion, what sublevel would you give it? Think my one is too high but wanted to see what others thought. Spelling and punctuation not been changed.
    Thanks
    H

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Has it got the name 'Masha' at the top?

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

2c at a quick glance. Definitely not any higher, and possibly lower.

4. Level 4 definately!
    (Following marks given to Year 6 paper last year! Stunned to see child one mark off L4 with possibly less than this level)

5. thought 2c too, 1a if conservative. Thanks.

6. I would say 1a because it doesn't seem to have any features of a particular genre of writing, or any sort of organised structure. What was the task?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would give a 1b/a no higher

8. I would give a 2c rather than 1a because of the use of the connectives and and but, but depends on other pieces of work!

9. Based on Aladdin where they had to write about 3 wishes they would like. Found it harder to mark I guess as not a story.

10. 2C
    Varied sentence openers, use of different connectives, some description.
    Lack of sticking to a tense/genre is holding it back, but I would still put it at a 2C for the reasons above.

11. Why no higher than a 1b/1a? I know it's not a great piece of writing but got evidence of more than simple vocab, some use of connectives, some awareness of reader.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Phew, good to see I'm not way out on my levelling. 2c for me too.

Actually it would be good to have more threads like this, reassuring for newbies to KS1 like me.

13. Is my 3rd year in year 2 and was moderated last year but still get in a panic about levelling and doubting my judgements. Tend to give it on gut instinct too rather than a complete checklist. Do agree on a little more of moderation amongst us folk.

14. Msz

I would class it as simple vocabulary in that there aren't words that a child wouldn't normally use. The tenses vary and it doesn't flow well. The child has used "but" to connect but it doesn't work for me neither does the "after" sorry
    my head says I'm a hard marker so I'd probably give 1b in my class

15. But a 1b can still need to be mediated, this is way beyond that!

16. Msz

A 1b doesn't need to be mediated neither does a 1c

17. Writing doesn't "need" to be mediated for a 1b, but it can require some and still be a 1b. Perhaps my comment didn't come across as I intended it too. Just, in my opinion, this is much higher than a 1b [​IMG]

18. Msz

If it needs mediating I give W (P levels)

19. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

The criterion scale would tell you to assess it as a level 2C but I would personally never assess such a short piece any higher than a 1a. IMO