1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What level position is realistic?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by speaker2, Oct 14, 2018.

1. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

Hi. I wish to work overseas in an international school, having worked in schools in England for 18 years, with the latter few years having included at SLT level. I have not had experience in international schools overseas, so wonder how open schools are when shortlisting for middle leadership and SLT level positions. Seeing some of the posts on this form, there are some suggestions that age is a barrier to getting appointed as a teacher as you could be seen as too expensive; this makes me worried that I would be either too old to apply for a teacher post or or too inexperienced to apply for any type of leadership post.

Any helpful comments?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

What SLT positions?
    I’ve seen people appointed to the highest post in a school without any international experience. You can go for it, but you’ll have some extra convincing to do.
    Probably silly to try for a promotion though. Stick to your current level.
    Age doesn’t matter so much at Principal or Director level.

3. speaker2

I have previously been a Head Teacher, but not in an international school. This is why I was thinking of aiming at perhaps deputy head or middle leadership role.

4. gulfgolf

Go for it.
    It’s never easy to secure those positions, but your shot is as good as anyone else’s.

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

It's not easy. Frequently, schools looking for SLT will want to see some overseas experience (basically, to make sure that you're not going to take fright through homesickness and not return after Christmas.) However, it's not impossible - worth trying.

6. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I think you probably have both an advantage and a disadvantage. The advantage is that a fair few SLT vacancies seem to be aimed at candidates with recent UK experience, especially by the UK rent-a-name schools situated abroad. The disadvantage may be that (I presume) you have no IB experience? Unless you're gearing your applications at iGCSE/A- Level international schools, this will be against you, certainly at middle leadership and upwards.

Wouldn't have thought age is a problem for International SLT - unless visa regulations say so.

7. speaker2

I think that it seems to be a case of applying and seeing what happens. BTW, not a senior school background, so just looking at primary age -range, so I do not think IGCSE or IB is that relevant for me.
    There seem to be a lot of international schools that follow the English National Curriculum broadly in primary schools.

8. gulfgolf

There are, and many others offering the IB down through the youngest grades.