1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What level of detail do application panels need?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Are you filling in an unemployment gap on a form or writing a personal statement?

2. I have just been putting the dates and 'career break' on the form, but it doesn't seem to be enough so I thought I should mention it in my covering letter. I don't want to be going into my life story if it's not wanted. It doesn't feel very professional to go into personal matters in the form but leaving it out seems like I am hiding something.

3. Lara mfl 05

So, yes you're right explaining your 'absence' makes sense but you don't want to go into elaborate detail.
    Can you do something like 'During my time away from teaching, juggling the demands of looking after xxxxx I have learnt to xxxxx and xxxx and I see this as a positive skill I can bring to my teaching. Gives a brief explanation but shows you 'haven't sat twiddling your thumbs but used it as a learning experience." As many schools look carefully at applications for plagiarism I've deliberately left the specifics vague.

4. That sounds perfect! Thank you, I will get this application in the post pronto.

5. Lara mfl 05

Well, at least I can also say that I'm not entirely wasting my time whilst jobseeking!