1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What level is copy & paste?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by zimon, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I'm in the process of marking some KS3 project work, and I have a small pile where students have just copied and pasted information straight from the internet onto their work - in some cases they have done nothing at all of their own.
    I remember my mentor last year telling me that "copy and paste can never get above a level...." but can't remember what that level was - can anyone offer any advice please?

2. I'm in the process of marking some KS3 project work, and I have a small pile where students have just copied and pasted information straight from the internet onto their work - in some cases they have done nothing at all of their own.
    I remember my mentor last year telling me that "copy and paste can never get above a level...." but can't remember what that level was - can anyone offer any advice please?

3. Hi Zimon
    I would never give a mark/level to a student who had copied and pasted work from the internet or a book. A because it is plagarism. B because it is clearly not their own work and assessing performance on a piece of work that is not their own is impossible.
    If they have done some of their own work and incorporated copied and pasted parts into it, they will need to do it again, by writing plagarised parts into their own words and then citing their sources

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Unless there is a good reason for this (SEN students genuinely not understanding the task, for example), I would keep said students back at break time, express disatisfaction in appropriate manner and insist on it being done properly and handed in next day. Failure to comply would result in contact home and them doing the work under supervision. You can't let them get away with this in KS3 bcause it causes problems for GCSE. For SEN students, you may need to show them how to use the material found when researching. I never mark anything that resembles a copy and paste job and always make them do it again.

5. Looby_Lou14

Looby_Lou14 New commenter

Agreed- no mark- it's not your work. A monkey can copy and paste, doesn;t mean they understand it.

I would hand it back unmarked, tell them to do it again without copying and pasting, or face some form of punishment. If said pupil was unaware they could not do this I may rethink my instructions for the task or "banned websites" for next time I teach it ......

6. It surely depends on the piece of work you've set them. If it was, for example, to research a topic, present their findings and then summarise it in their own words, then they've simply failed to carry out the last part of the work.
    If, however, (and I think I remember from other posts that you're Maths?) the project was to investigate the sequences and/or alegbra connected to the well known leapfrog investigation and rather than carrying out the investigation themselves they've simply found solutions on the web then they don't deserve anything really.

7. Thanks for all your replies. I've been thinking about this, and still undecided. I"m going to have a chat with some colleagues tomorrow before I make a decision.
    I'm geography, and the task was to "Write a detailed newspaper report for the National Geographic Magazine explaining the eruption of Mt St Helens" - so it was a research task - I wasn't asking for creative writing, just the main facts.
    On one hand, I think they have done a little bit of research as they were asked - they have thought a little bit about what they needed to do, and have put relevant information in (so some thought had to be there), on the other hand, I'm annoyed that they think I'm a fool, so have given them a very low grade, and a bottom level effort grade.
    On the instructions/level marking sheet, in big bold capital (and itallic) letters it does say 'NOT JUST COPIED FROM THE INTERNET!!'

8. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

But if you're asking them to write a magazine article, you are asking them to take their research and create an informative and explanatory text from the facts, statistics etc they have found. You have asked them to write it. The task wasn't, 'Find an article on the eruption of Mt St Helen and adapt it'. You have asked them to find information and process it to demonstrate understanding. If you accept a copy and paste offering, you are rewarding them for being able to find information on google. That's not an acceptable learning outcome for KS3 and if you accept the work, you are suggesting they have done someone worth of credit, albeit reduced. Make them do it properly,

9. Given your latest post, then I agree with those who said that they shouldn't get any credit for what they've done and should be made to do it again.
    However (bearing in mind that I'm not a Geography teacher), what are you testing? Their ability to summarise and interpret facts/information? Or their ability to find that information for themselves? Or a combination of the two?
    If the first, then perhaps you should give them all the same raw materials and judge how well they all use them to produce their final reports.
    If the second, perhaps the way in which they present the work needs to be considered?
    If the latter, however, then perhaps you should introduce them to the idea of an appendix - they can write their own article, and then put all their research (printouts straight from the web etc) in an appendix. It's then a question of how you weight the marks ... 75/25 for writing/research maybe?
    Just to be clear though, based on the instructions you gave them, I think they should get a big fat zero as they have not completed the task you set.