1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What level do you start Y7s at?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by blazer, May 14, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes, best to start them a 3 then you won't leave many behind. Lets be honest, most are barely at level 3 a KS3 level 3) despite what their SAT results say! Those with a modicum of intelligence will progress quickly.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm still waiting for prior attainment data for year 7. (Yes, the ones who are about to become year 8).
    P

3. Why don't you ask the primary teachers for their Teacher Assement levels ( and NOT the SATs levels) as these are two completely different things!
    Several of the secondaries we feed to send in a transition teacher well before the SATs results come out and actually ask for our opinions on the children, we can then say where the children are, rather than where we need to get them to be for one week in May!

4. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

You didn't say what subject. With those that are new to them - MFL, say - they will naturally start at a lower level.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

maths is what I'm looking at. If you start at Y3's, surely the more able become frustrated at repeating material?

6. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I would start a top set on Level 5/6 work, a middle set onf Level 4/5 work and a bottom set on Level 3/4 work, unless their SATs results were way different.
    Starting at Level 3 work is not commonplace, although some pupils do always go back running to their primary school saying that they've 'done it before' well yes in maths almost everything they will do in Secondary school except trig, pythagoras and circles has been covered before, OK possibly not in as much depth for things like algebra, but nothing else is 'new', just revised and moved on a bit more!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It has always been the cry 'we've done this before' but if you then test them on it you find their is little undertstanding or knowledge just a memory of a diagram or word 9I teach science). Every kids in yr 7 in September knows the word photosynthesis (and a few can spell it) but if you ask them what it is about the vast majority will either not know or have completly the wrong idea.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The same thing applies to KS3 to KS4 as well though. You get the kids (that you taught) from yr9 and you know that they did all this wonderful stuff yet when they get to yr10 it has to be re-taught becuse they cannot recall any of it (and yes, they still shout 'we did this already').

9. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

It's parents evening in year 7 - I'm explaining that their student is level 4c and they are so annoyed as their son/daughter got a level 5a in Primary. It's such a difficult one to explain, but their son/daughter never turned up to my lesson with a level 4, never mind a 5a! They should be more consistent between primary and secondary schools. I wonder if schools with both primary and secondary students have the same issues?

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Completely agree about the lack of inconsistancy in levels. How can this be solved? I have been in on moderation sessions between primary and secondary teachers where levels on samples of work were broadly agreed on. Yet the starting point of teachers in year seven still differs wildlly from the finish point in year six.

11. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

10 or 20 yrs ago, it was possible for a primary school kid to leave with a 5 or 6
    so whats changed?????
    • More **** in the curriculum clogging it up (5hitisenship, Britishness, Finance, more MFL, e.t.c.)
    • subjects are taught as "subjects" - what i mean here is that RE is taught as RE, History is taught as History e.t.c. - it used to be the case that Maths and English were taught all the time and everything else was taught discretely within that.
    • The gulf between the best and worst kids in a class is now larger thus making the more able kids seem much cleverer than they actually are
    all IMHO

Pedro

12. We set pupils according to SATs results, but only use this as a very rough guide. We often find that pupils have been 'hot housed' in SATs style mathematics for a year or two to get 4s/5s but in reality, when it comes to figuring out maths investigatively for themselves their SATs level is inflated.
    Until you get to know your year 7 class it is best to have accessible core work (level 3 or 4) with plenty of extension activities to stretch the brightest ones if they find this too easy.

13. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

All our feeders boycotted SATs last year, so we had to go on TAs.
    How can anyone who can't write intelligibly or understand what they read, come in with a TA of 4 for English?