1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What level can I teach?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by KEM303, Jun 9, 2016.

1. KEM303

KEM303 New commenter

Hi, I'm shortly about to attend an interview for a full time PGCE (PCET) course. I am asked to explain what level I am able to teach with my qualifications. I have a BA and MA and I assume I could teach up to foundation degree level or possibly BA in franchised courses?

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

You can usually teach the level below which you are qualified. In your case you have an M.A. so you should be able to teach B.A.
    In reality, depending on your subject, you will end up teaching a much lower level. I have an M.A. and teach GCSE, several of my colleagues have PHds.
    If your subject is something such as Business studies you may end up teaching vocational students Btec. This will be a culture shock. If your M.A. is in Philosophy you could very well end up teaching functional skills - which is what most of our philosophy PGCE students did. Maths or English- prepare for loads of disenchanted GCSE students. History - prepare to teach another subject.
    I had dolly daydreams of lots of interested A level students lapping up my every word, keen and eager to progress in their subject. I never dreamt that I would spend my days being sworn at by construction students.

Rozario123 and wanet like this.
  3. Rozario123

Rozario123 New commenter

That is soooo funny! I had the same dream. Someone even told me that I was lucky to be teaching as it was seen as the "gold standard" with eager students. Little do they realise that unless you are in a nice private school - college students don't really want to be there. They are just killing time.