1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What languages can i use in OCR GCSE Computing?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bornetofail675, Nov 16, 2015.

1. bornetofail675

bornetofail675 New commenter

I am a 14 year old home schooled boy and am about to apply for my GCSE's, one of them being Computing by OCR and was wondering for the Controlled assessment what programming language are you meant to use?

I mostly have experience with web based languages: HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, MySql and also with apple's Swift 2

Can i use any of them or will i have to learn Python or Java?

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

It used to be the case that if you were home schooled (or similar) you had to have your controlled assessment work supervised by an approved exam centre i.e. a school. I'd check if that is still the case

If it is, then you'll probably need to do your CA work in the programming language that your supervising school uses
    (I think you'll have to find a school in which to sit the exams anyway.)

However could I also suggest that you look at the iGCSE as this is totally exam based and could save a fair amount of hassle with the CA work etc.
    N.B. You'll still need to find a centre to sit the exams in and there are some restrictions associated with this exam in the UK

bornetofail675 likes this.
  3. bornetofail675

I cant seem to find Computing IGCSEs that are going to be done this year if you can point me two one i would be grateful

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

You'll find all the info you need at the Cambridge Website.
    But I also would contact them direct as sometimes the admin for eternal candidates can be complicated and the rules change all of the time.

bornetofail675 likes this.
  5. bornetofail675

Hmm, OK. Also i want to do computer science at collage, do i have to or is it better to do Computing at GCSE level?

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

By College, do you mean A Levels or BTECS or are you talking about a Degree?

7. bornetofail675

8. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

The exam board specifications all change in September so do have a selection of languages you can pick for each one. All those languages you've listed (HTML, SQL, Javascript, CSS) are likely to come up in the theory part of the work, but you're going to need to use a proper 'programming language' to be able to complete any controlled assessment.

AQA:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/computing/specifications/AQA-8520-SP-2016-V0-1.PDF

Eduqas:
    http://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualificati...GCSE-Computer-Science-Draft-Specification.pdf

OCR:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/225975-specification-draft-gcse-computer-science-j276.pdf

Pearson:
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/c...assessments/computer-science-spec-updated.pdf

9. bornetofail675

I am going to be doing the exams this year, so these new specifications don't apply to me

10. tjra

Apologies then. OCR are the most flexible exam board then (I had a student do his CA in Ruby which I have no experience of and frankly the outcome was beyond my level of knowledge). As long as they can access the code and the program; most of the marks come from your explanation, showing an iterative process (ie: don't just write it all up at the end - write it as an ongoing project) and testing of the program.

If you go with OCR, bear in mind that 30% x 2 is controlled assessment. If you're taking the exams this year then you might want to get your skates on ;)

11. bornetofail675

I am probably going to do the IGCSE Computing, because the CA is going to be complicated to arrange.

12. tjra

Have you actually rung the exam board(s) and checked? It might not be as complicated as you think. You can't be the only student completing controlled assessment.

13. bornetofail675

Hmm I will look into it

14. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

The IGCSE is nice, and avoids the problem that you will run in to with controlled assessments. There is a nice Facebook support group too with other students and teachers of the course to assist.

For the IGCSE you can use whatever programming language you like as it is a written exam and the marks are for structure rather than correct syntax

15. bornetofail675

@TonyGT could you please send me the link of this facebook group, also if i do the IGCSE will collages that need computing GCSE done accept me?

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I would expect that rather than being concerned if you haven't done GCSE Computing colleges will be upset if you refer to them as a collage. If you don't know the difference then look up the meaning of "collage".

17. bornetofail675

@wanet I know the difference, it was a typo. So you think if i do the IGCSE computing, it wont look as good as if i do the GCSE computing??

18. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Colleges won't know the difference or care - a GCSE is a GCSE to them.

Here is the group. There is another one too with a Sir Ali heading it. I think they are both Pakistani private teachers but the groups are very helpful to talk with other students.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/olevelcomputer/

19. bornetofail675

OK, thanks for all the info!

20. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Except you did it twice!