1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of questions can I expect at a headship interview?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

Please?!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. I was that young whippersnapper, beating the experienced head candidate, at my first headship interview.

3. Middlemarch

I don't understand why someone who's been a head since 2004 would need to ask someone else what questions to expect at an interview, however.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

me too.

5. Marshall

Middlemarch - I don't find your comments helpful. I want to be prepared and yes I have been a head for 8 years but I don't pretend to know everything.
    With regard to the whippersnapper comment - I was that too eight years ago. Times change, interviews change.

6. Middlemarch

It's amazing how people appear to expect only to hear exactly what they want when they start a thread on TES.
    So I'll put it even more strongly than before - asking for ideas about what questions you might be asked for a headship is bad enough and anyone who has to ask shouldn't be a head in the first place. Asking when you've been doing the job for eight years is ludicrous. You're in a better position than almost anyone else to be able to identify what kind of questions you're likely to be asked.
    Nonetheless, I'll give you the kind of help I normally give to much 'younger' applicants for posts in teaching. The best way to prepare for an interview is not to 'question spot', which is far too narrow a method and inclined to make you focus merely on those questions.
    The best means of preparation is to use the job description and person spec to 'brainstorm' all the relvant and related areas from which questions might be drawn. Ideally, you should then draw these up as a series of 'mind maps', adding more and more ideas as you go along.
    You can then 'revise' for the interview by studying your mind maps - and you'll find that each time you look at them you'll think of more words, phrases and concepts to add.
    You're right to say that times and interviews change - and that means using your own knowledge, skills and strengths, coupled with your invaluable experience, to prepare yourself. But the 'whippersnapper' comment means that you must beware of not putting yourself in the shoes of the whippersnapper - what can s/he bring that you can't?

7. Marshall

Thank you Middlemarch - you advice is really helpful - exactly what I wanted.

8. Marshall

you=your