1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What joins should children learn first?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by brfcsc, Mar 12, 2011.

1. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Hi I have a year 4 boy who has worked really hard to decrease the size of his letters. The next job is to encourage and teach him to join his letters He does not join any letter at the moment.
    What letters should I start getting him to join? Are there easier letteres to join than others?

2. We've just got a new scheme - the Nelson scheme. The first join it teaches is <u>un</u>. Seems like a hard one to me but thats the first in there.

3. First of all, make sure he is forming his single letters correctly - I have found children beginning i's and t's from the bottom up, d's from the top like a b; the letters can look perfect but, if started from the wrong point, cannot be joined. 5 minutes watching each letter being formed can be quite instructive.
    Writing the joining patterns several times for the child to go over then copy helps their hands learn the shape and feel of the pattern. Teach spelling patterns joined from the start and also those in his name.

4. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Hi, we use Penpals scheme, pretty sure first join is diagonal to an ascender (at, il etc), then diagonal to no ascender, followed by to an anti-clockwise letter. Then move on to horizontal joins.
    As others have mentioned make sure he's starting in right place and move in correct direction first, also are letters sitting on lines with clear difference between 'short' and 'tall' letters?