1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What jobs can I do with a Primary Teaching Degree??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Harriet_20, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posting on but I thought I'd try my luck. Apologies if so!
    I have recently secured a temporary teaching post at a lovely school that I supplied at quite regularly and now that I have started I can't help but think that maybe teaching isn't the best career for me at this time? I do like teaching, a lot, but I really wish that sometimes I had a job where I could just 'leave it at the door', particularly at weekends! I am surprised by myself in thinking this because I really didn't like supply at first and couldn't wait to get a job but now it's here I just feel that I'm missing out on a life. I have other friends that teach and who feel like this also. What's worse, in some way, is that I'm an NQT so this job would only get me part of this. I can't imagine trying to find another job when this is finished, only if it was at this school!

So what I want to know, if I couldn't secure another teaching job and aside from supply, what other jobs could I actually do???

Many Thanks

2. Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posting on but I thought I'd try my luck. Apologies if so!
    I have recently secured a temporary teaching post at a lovely school that I supplied at quite regularly and now that I have started I can't help but think that maybe teaching isn't the best career for me at this time? I do like teaching, a lot, but I really wish that sometimes I had a job where I could just 'leave it at the door', particularly at weekends! I am surprised by myself in thinking this because I really didn't like supply at first and couldn't wait to get a job but now it's here I just feel that I'm missing out on a life. I have other friends that teach and who feel like this also. What's worse, in some way, is that I'm an NQT so this job would only get me part of this. I can't imagine trying to find another job when this is finished, only if it was at this school!

So what I want to know, if I couldn't secure another teaching job and aside from supply, what other jobs could I actually do???

Many Thanks

3. Think of the skills you have

Think of jobs where those skills would be useful

Most degrees are general in their skill base and most "graduate" jobs do not require a specific degree

4. Thanks Resource Finder!
    I did do a teaching degree though, which to me feels like my options are limited!?

Where would I even begin to look??

5. How old are you?
    You could still get on a graduate trainee scheme, even with a teaching degree. You would need to decide what you want to do, though.

6. List your skills

Working with people, Meeting deadlines, Flexible, Self Starter, etc, etc

Then look online for "graduate job search"
    Find a couple of agencies and call a number ... if the person that answers sounds intelligent and interested ... tell them your skills and ask if they have any jobs that require those skills ... write down any suggestions they make during the conversation and search more

7. If it is something you think would grab your attention - Sales and Marketing. Your communicative skills would be welcome and a bonus, as would be skills you have learnt in making lesson plans and meeting deadlines, etc.
    You could also move into Human Resources or Personnel.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Basicaly training to be a teacher will not give you emplyable skills...... you have to ,as it has been mentoned. to find the skills you can do....then do your research and find not only the best match and the jobs which seem to grab your attention.The training gives you valuable personal skills, and the jon gives you some abilities.
    After a life of work in various jobs I can say that there is no one job that will use all your skills...... many use one and not another.Each job develops a certain skill and attitude, and just as you doubt your desire to stay in teaching , so you will in any other job.All have frustrations, all have annoying irks and all make demands.
    Unfortunately, in our day we do not have the choice or chance of trying out different jobs, as many of them are hard to come by, and may take ages to secure.
    However, if you can. I would say seek to finish off one job at a time..see if you can finish your course to be a teacher, as in the future you might just need that qualification.Over the years my life is littered with a variety of courses and qualifications....some abandoned on the way.and which I look back with hindsight and wish I hadnt! We can never tell what the future holds.

9. Sorry to hear you think teaching's not for you. Bear in mind though that the first term and even the first year in any school can be very hard, and it gets better from there.
    I left my first post after a term because I was unhappy at the time. I didn't realise until several jobs later that it's always rotten at first then gets better. I'm not saying I regret leaving, but I realise that if i'd stuck it out a whole year I might have seen things in a whole new light.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

10. Teaching is a job you can 'leave at the door' if you give it a couple more years and experience at working smart. Maybe if you want to climb the ladder this will be different though but they are management things that are your choice to do or not. No way I'm working in hols, after 5pm at night or during weekends.
    It takes time to be able to do this and give your charges a good education as well.
    Give it time. 1 yr is nowhere near enough.