1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your understanding of...

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Apr 25, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Pretentious rubbish?

2. I agree that it's absolutely awful. I think I would ask them what they thought of it, what's it trying to say and how successful they think it is. I would suggest that your borderliners need to atart thinking for themselves if they are going to scrabble out of that position.

My own response is that it doesn't work as a simile because the links are too tennuous. It's a text from another culture though (?) so maybe I am missing out on something. I am concerned thatthe quote as a whole seems to objectifying the woman whilst attempting to create a positive image through the (frankly dire) simile.

3. This is the problem with teaching pieces from another culture. The Japanese attitude to sexuality is totally different to our own.

4. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Hmmm, whilst I would also probably tell the students it is a slightly dodgy simile (or possibly choose a different text in order to avoid having to explain it!), I reckon I understand what he means- though it is quite a personal view that my husband snorted at.
    Antique clocks tick, thus intruding into the peace of a room and, as a child, I was always fascinated by the large space in a grandfather clock because it seemed quite mysterious (useful place for a ghost to hide). There always do seem to be lots of interesting possibilities with old clocks, not just because of their history but also because of their associations with time and all that this entails.
    Though if it's being likened to a woman, there is also the whole 'hands' and 'face' and 'antique' aspect of the comparison too.

5. Thank you to all who have responded- Yes I am not a fan really, but I do think maybe the true sense has been lost in translation.

I have included some activities which includes them writing their own similes etc too, as they do tend to benefit from putting theory into practice.

Thank you again everyone! :)