1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your understanding of...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Doesn't this come from a story about a young couple who meet, but then doubt their relationship and separate in the hopes of meeting again one day, thus proving their connection to each other?
    If that's the case, the the word 'antique' is very interesting. It suggests something precious that stands the test of time. The 'pece' part, for me, indicates the innocence of the young couple at the time they met, and thus symbolises the purity of that first meeting which happened before life and adulthood could take over and complicate things. It also seems to suggest that this meeting should have been the start of something lasting: the references to the clock seems to suggest something that doesn't ever stop - like time.
    Dunno if that makes any sense.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

only if they can apreciate the significance of the object and the workmanship/time which has gone ito the object>

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

'something sure to be full of warm secrets' suggests that the young man harbours a hope of intimacy and whispered sweet nothings with someone he could fall deeply in love with, possibly to the exclusion of all outside considerations. I'm feeling open fires, dark winter nights, glass of wine...That type of romance and intimacy
    'like an antique clock built when peace filled the world' summons up images of something built with great love, care and attention to detail, by someone who felt at peace with themself. Something that is valuable and will stand the test of time, since it's been built to last, and as it's a clock, it will constantly measure time passing but remain unchanged
    So, I think, he imagines that the object of his desire will be the greatest love of his life and one that will last for time everlasting

4. I think the 'built when peace filled the world' also suggests that the clock-maker was able to take time in its creation - it wasn't created in a rush to make way for other demands. That implies to me the idea of perfection, because taking time means there is less likely to be errors.
    The warm secrets also made me think of old clocks that have hidden springs - not sure they ever do, but that's what I thought of when reading it. Like secret passages in old houses (which I've never found, much to my great disappointment!)

5. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

*sniggers*

I'm sorry...I couldn't resist.... I tried ! Honest I did!!

6. Thank you to everyone who has responded- I have posted this in a few places and can definitely say I have a mixture of opinions to share with the little bu99ers tomorrow!!