1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your understanding of social distancing in your bubble?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by purkins, May 29, 2020.

1. purkins

purkins New commenter

Hi i am soon to be back in a bubble with 8 year 1 children. In their own bubble can children for instance play with lego together or do they have to have their own bricks. Do they have to sit 2 meters apart? I would be interested in how school are interpreting this. Thanks Purkins

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My understanding is that, within the bubble, children can play normally. Adults should promote good hygiene and extra hand washing, should clean surfaces and equipment regularly, etc.

3. handee2

handee2 New commenter

I do not think Kartoshka is correct, The whole reason why teachers have been concerned about opening schools to EYFS and Year 1 is because they cannot easily socially distance, Sky News from yesterday reports
    "Do social distancing rules apply in social bubbles?
    Yes, for now the two-metre rule still applies when spending time with people in your bubble."

sooooexcited and BetterNow like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same.
    Having said that, I will be discouraging the more physical rough and tumble play and some were into 'belly bopping' just before we closed, which I'll also discourage.

(Belly bopping is where you lift your shirt and bop bellies with a friend who has also lifted theirs. No I don't understand the attraction either, but the 4 year old boys were very into it!)

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, I think children do have to social distance when playing. Otherwise why the big fuss about about keeping children apart and only having space for 12 kids in a room? There's no point having their desks spaced out and then letting them sit right next to each other play lego?
    Poor little things...

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Surely Sky News were talking about the the change in rules for the public generally, that people can meet outdoors in groups of up to 6 from two households provided the different households stay 2m apart?

Government guidance for schools has always acknowledged that strict social distancing cannot be maintained in schools for young children, EY, Y1.

The guidance starts with....

"We know that, unlike older children and adults, early years and primary age children cannot be expected to remain 2 metres apart from each other and staff. In deciding to bring more children back to early years and schools, we are taking this into account."
    It goes on with a lot more detail and recommendations in the section titled "Class or group sizes" here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

My understanding is that we will accept that young children cannot social distance in the same way as adults and older children. Soft toys, cushions and soft furnishings will be removed. Resources such as Lego will be rotated - all children can play with it, then washed in milton at the end of the day and not out the following day. As much time outside as possible. Lots of handwashing, and physical contact discouraged.

8. handee2

handee2 New commenter

With regard ton Rott Weiler's response to my previous post, if we do not at least try to implement social distancing with younger pupils, we might as well prepare for schools to be closed again in a few weeks due to a second wave of virus. Hard though it might be, teachers need to follow social distancing wherever possible even with the youngest pupils.

Sally006, lovetoast and BetterNow like this.
  9. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I think they don't have to socially distance in their bubble.
    The whole point is that bubble will only be with each other - they won't be interacting with any other adults or children in school.
    Social distancing within this bubble will not happen and they can play together normally but have to wash hands frequently and hygiene to be good within the bubble. It is recognized that staying 2 metres apart when you're small is not possible, practical or appropriate in these present circumstances.

10. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Isn't it crazy that schools go back tomorrow and none of us are sure what's exactly expected in the midst of this deadly pandemic?!

Sally006, Catgirl1964 and BetterNow like this.
  11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We are aiming for as much social distancing as we can, so tables are set up 2 metres apart and resources have been slimmed down to washable ones. But we accept it’s not going to be perfect. We will do the best we can. We have told parents that we can not guarantee social distancing in EYFS/1, we will try with year 6 but they will be walking to school and standing outside hugging and high-fiving each other so there’s not much point really!

12. caterpillartobutterfly

I think those of us actually going back are aware of what is expected of us in our schools. We know the risk assessments and the plans to minimise risks.

All schools are different and different areas of the country need to have different expectations.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  13. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

The bubbles do get a lot bigger when they are staffed with a rota. Less of an issue for EYFS probably due to the nature of how they are normally staffed, but for Y6 I know of at least one school with more than 10 staff on the Y6 bubble rota. I suppose it worked for Key Worker children in a lot of places, it just seems like enlarging the bubble a lot and all of those adults are then potentially taking any infection away and spreading it themselves.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

WOW! That sounds crazy.
    But year 6 can socially distance, so mightn't be as it sounds at first.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Our Year 6 bubbles are each going to have a rota of 3 staff, 2 on duty at a time.

16. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Maybe they could socially distance, but we all know they won’t. A combination of them being children and the environmental factors of being in school (corridors, needing help with work, queueing etc etc will erode away at distancing policies)

I understand the reasoning - everyone is subject teaching a full timetable online so the load is shared equally. That is good reasoning but... We really are in a fingers crossed situation for the next few weeks as we watch and see what happens.

17. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

We are socially distancing. We have had all ages since lockdown and when shown and explained they are very good at it.

18. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

I advise you to look at your school risk assessment regarding the use of equipment. Personally, I would say that as many schools are restricting children to use only their set of stationery, that sharing of Lego bricks is not acceptable. But as I say, check your school risk assessment.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Sterilising a pen and pencil is much harder than sterilising lego.

20. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs New commenter

How is this all going? Asking as someone who is not back at school yet.