1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your seating arrangement?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, May 22, 2012.

1. Do you have Maths, Literacy and 'normal' places? Any other places?!
    For 'normal' places, do you let them sit with their friends? If you have some kids who mess about. do you let the good ones sit with friends and not the naughty ones, or do you make everyone sit with people they aren't good friends with?
    PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU DO! x

2. Thank you all for telling me how you do it. I'm like Niles Crane doing the seating plan for a dinner party tonight. Every combination I try, it seems somebody is having to be the good influence on somebody they find annoying, or that only one or two people are sitting with people they don't like and it's like I'm making a mean example of them! xxx

3. I have 5 tables of around 6.
    I have ability groups for english, maths and guided reading.
    We have "normal" seats for the early morning and afternoon times. These are mixed ability. I have one sensible middle- higher ability child on each table and then distributed the others around them, making sure the troublemakers are kept well away from each other. Thankfully, I have one spare seat so THAT child doesn't sit next to anyone- to everyone's relief!
    Sometimes, if they have been particularly well behaved, I will let them work with friends. They usually work pretty well when this happens since they appreciate the treat.

4. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

Currently all my tables are separated out into singles with 2 children on each, but that is because they have been doing their CATs!
    The rest of the time they are in small groups of 4 or 6. They have given me an idea of who they get along with, I already know who I don't want with particular children and then I hash together a seating plan from that. Because they have mostly been sat with their choice of friend, the majority of them want to stay in those places and do behave.
    I have several of 'that type' of child this year, so keep the seating plan changing quite frequently.
    I favour mixed ability most of the time. But I do then get them to sit in their reading ability for some English work and they have maths places for when I want them to work in ability groups there too.

5. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

I have tables of 6 and they have Maths and literacy places. When they first come into class and in the afternoon they work in mixed ability tables. I do take friendships into account but only if I think they can work sensibly together!

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

And for me, there lies the problem. About half my class choose ppl to work with they'll be sensible with. About half mess around. Some mess around even if with a sensible partner!,

I have carpet places (otherwise I get the lovely children right in front of me with the ones who don't pay attention or mess around at the back), this had a massive impact on behaviour. I have literacy tables and Maths tables, ability groups. I used to let them choose where they sit for everything else but it was too noisy, too much chat and silly behaviour so now they have 'home places'. This has sped up changing for pe!! I sometimes let them sit where they want, eg during reading time and topic. I teach y1 btw.

7. Niali

Niali New commenter

I 'lucky dip' my normal seating places - the children see me doing it and know that it's fair, sometimes they will be sat next to a friend, other times they might be sat next to someone they don't particularly get on with. Then I choose the table that I want them to sit on to split up any trouble makers, LA near the front etc. These places change every half term. Maths and Literacy is ability grouped usually and I change my maths places quite often as the children make progress.

8. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I have used all kinds of arrangements. Groups, a horseshoe with 2 grouped tables in the middle, and now, at the children's suggestion, rows a la Victorian school. I don't mind either arrangement but my favourite was the horseshoe.

9. Mystery my roots are rooted deep in the early years, thats where I was seeded and grew, and would have stayed exclusively, now I teach everywhere but still am rooted in the early years. The waters of that spring of life now fall in torrents on my upper leaves, high near the sky, then run in cascades and rivulets down my branches and trunk, where they dance in a joyous cataract with the waters that still spring up and outward from the earth and from the very youngest children.
    The same water and stream of life in each age-group, each interaction. Shiny, bright, refreshing, nourishing, life-giving, the current of lifes evolutionary charge. I am thirsty, I have a gargantuaum thirst even now and there has always beenenough to quench even my droughts.
    Of late though, now there is also just the dim sensation in the distance, a murmur in the background, barely imperciptible but gaining pace, the draining now of my tributaries into the delta of my openings to the sea. That which distilled from my landscapes over time, absorbed from this life in cellular intricacy, drawn through my own branches and trunk, the accumulated longings of my roots, is now beginning to turn on an ebb tide. Going back to the sea. Humbled, Naked, raw green beneath an awful immensity of sky.

10. I was struggling with who to place where in my class rooms. I now use an app called class charts. I made different seating plans, marked behaviour of each pupil and then used class charts to help work out what was suitable for my classes.

Hope this helps x

11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Whatever happened to pupil voice? [​IMG]

(I'm secondary, and prefer rows whenever the board is going to be used a significant amount. I think the biggest reason for this is the whole year I spent in primary with my back to one blackboard, with the other to my side.)

12. missdarling

missdarling New commenter

I'm in Y1. I have mixed-ability 3s who sit on one table (1 on the long side facing the front and 2 on the short sides facing each other). This is how they sit for most Maths, Literacy or anything else I want them to concentrate on. They understand these are their working groups. I let them sit at whichever table they want to.

We also had grouped tables and horseshoe style for a while, but the children much prefer the individual tables, I can't bear them having their backs to the board (it gives me backache just imagining it) and it means I have less overall furniture in the room which is handy if I want to move it for any reason.

I'm the only teacher at my school with a set up like this, all the rest have groups and I have had a few comments about it, but as frustum said - pupil voice is more important to me if I want them to enjoy their learning!

13. I have 5 tables of 6. Each table has 3 pairs of learning partners on. Each pair of learning partners are 1 sub level apart. So table groups are mixed ability. I had to do it this way due to a large number of low ability disruptive boys. But I am going to it again this year because it has been very successful. I do take ability groups out for some lessons but the ones that are left are still mixed ability as it involves taking 1 child from each table. They have table groups, Numeracy groups and literacy groups. They sit on the carpet in their learning partners in their table groups... They each have a place. I have changed the groupings every term. Sounds very strict but I have had to be!!

14. I suggest children sitting in rows facing 'the front' for basic skills. For basic skills in literacy (phonics including handwriting etc), it is really helpful, efficient and very important for left-rightness and good teaching and learning routines.

I have only ever found children to love this arrangement - and the supporting adults can whizz around the class so efficiently paying all the children some attention as appropriate.

There are also studies to show that when this seating arrangement is fit-for-purpose, it is leads to much better learning than children sitting in grouped table arrangements.

Further, I think we have a mass problem of children sitting with poor posture when they write, with wrists hooked around - in effect writing from above their words and not below their words. I suggest that poor positioning in grouped tables contributes to this.

Have you looked around your classes recently when they are doing some written work?