1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your school policy on compulsory donations for non-uniform days?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 99sobi, Mar 23, 2019.

1. 99sobi

99sobi New commenter

I'm curious to find out the policies on this and your opinions on them.

Two of my sons are encouraged to pay as much as they want at their secondary school for non-uniform day. If I recall correctly, two years ago, they changed from mandatory payment of £1 before the day, £2 on the day, and £3 after the day, to voluntary contributions and that emphasis on the "charity" aspect rather than hounding down students that haven't paid.

Whereas my other two sons have to pay £1 at their primary school, else they are told off. Now we live in one of the most deprived wards in the country and many parents live in poverty with 2 or 3 children at school and for them paying £2/3 does have a big effect. That's why I'm not particularly keen of compulsory payments for non-uniform days, especially as parents who cannot pay end up sending their children in uniform and then they feel left out compared to other kids.

Do others feel the same way? Has your school changed its policy?

2. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

At my school children pay a voluntary contribution. We don't keep any check on who has paid, or how much. We hope that attention is drawn to the main charity cause, even if no donation is made.

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

While we expect people to pay, we don't police it. I just collect the money in a pot. I sometimes have anxious parents saying they forgot and I just suggest that they hand it in later.
    We ask for £1 per pupil.
    I think it would be reasonable to say that everyone should donate something if they're not wearing uniform but maybe donate less if you're short of money (I don't know, 10p say).

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

We ask for £1 per pupil and 'big up' the charity before the day. No record is kept of those who don't pay and no action is taken. At a guess, I would say payment is around 70 - 80%.

5. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

We have always asked for a 'silver coin'. No spare money at all in our catchment. All goes in a pot, wouldn't dream of commenting if someone doesn't put in.

bevdex, Jesmond12, bonxie and 2 others like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same as the others here. Suggested donation of £1, but no record is kept of who has or has not paid and certainly no comment to the children.

It's been that way in all the schools I've taught in.

7. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

‘Compulsory donations’... never heard of them.
    As for telling kids off for not contributing ... nonsense.

Who the **** do some teachers think they are?

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go and visit places like Salisbury Cathedral and there is a turnstile for you to make your compulsory donation of £5! (Or there used to be, not sure now.)

lardylegs likes this.
  9. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Fair point.

I was thinking more about donations to charity in a school setting.

Actually, there was a half page ad in my Sunday paper trying to persuade people to visit Salisbury. I gather it’s been a bit quiet there recently.

10. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

Is it a free school or something? We're bound by the LA charging policy and every time we ask for money clearly state that it's a voluntary contribution.

If my own kids were admonished for the level of their contribution at school then I'd be dusting off my "Angry of Tunbridge Wells" writing kit.

11. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I have to say I did tell my class off a bit when only half of them remembered the donation for our last one - ‘I had no idea we had to donate money!’ - well it was in the same email as the one telling you you were allowed to dress up so...! It is a private school though and only asking for £1 so not a hardship I don’t think. It was a general ‘this is a disappointing amount from our class, please remember tomorrow’ and almost of all of them did - not an individual telling off or shaming. When I worked in a poor area we asked for £1 but I’d never have told kids off if they didn’t have it.

Can’t believe the school that charges different amounts depending on when kids pay up - sound system like an admin nightmare?!!

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

No child HAS to go in non school uniform. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay, just don't.

I remember one occasion my son decided he didn't want to support the charity that was being collected for, so went in uniform instead. On other occasions, we just didn't have the pound.

What i found worse at primary school, was the times children were instructed to bring in a contribution for the food bank, when we didn't have enough to eat at home, and everyone in class sat with their contributions out in front of them ,and my children were haranged at for bringing in nothing.

I can guarantee the food bank contributions taken from school children are frequently going to people BETTER off, and with more available food, than the people pressurised into making the donation

13. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

We ask for a pound but don't police it. I know some of our families just can't afford it.

14. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My school just asks for voluntary donations. It's a private school so parents can afford to donate at least something, but not all do. I don't like that attitude - as @dunnocks says, if you don't want to pay, then don't dress up. You could even just donate a penny. It's the thought that counts!

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

All donations have been entirely voluntary in every school I have ever worked in. Otherwise it isn’t a ‘donation’ at all!

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

At my school the donation was voluntary. No one checked or kept tabs on who paid or not.