1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your role as Senco?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by NQT1986, Jun 20, 2015.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I am starting as a Senco with less release time than I think is feasible! Before I say exactly what I'll be doing, can you possibly tell me what the intake of your school is (2 form infant/5 form primary etc) and how much time you are teaching/ how much doing Senco work?

Are you also SMT? How much responsibility do you have for leading Staff Meetings or line-managing teachers or TAs?

Huge thanks in advance!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

There is never enough time. I'm a non teaching senco so can't compare with what ever you do. May be better to post your school size and release time and then senco with similar sized schools could comment.

Thinking as I type size may not be as relevant as to number on sen register. A few years ago we had a significantly large number of children on the register in relation to our size, very small village school. This was because we were known to provide very well for children with sen.

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I am a secondary senco and my timetabled class teaching is currently 10/25 periods plus another 7 periods of intervention. in my view it is an impossibly heavy load and I don't get half of the job done properly.

4. I am a primary SENCO 1 form entry (200 NOR) - I have 1 afternoon per week which isn't enough really. I could do with a full day a week. In your circumstances I would say a full day too although it does depend on the SEN needs of your school e.g How many statements/EHCP, IEPs, SEN Number & additional roles you might do e.g Intervention manager etc..

According to the code of practice it is advised and encouraged that we are on the SMT - Unfortunately our SMT is already quite big so I attend as & when needed rather & have SEN responsibilities such as designation of staff for interventions etc. I lead staff meetings usually 2 or 3 a year and I will manage the interventions that the TA's do and their timetables for doing this. I also get an SEN payment for doing this.

Are you doing the NASENCO award?

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Thank you for your replies-It's a 3 form entry with probably slightly less than average SEN. A handful of EHCPs and a few in the pipeline, plus 1-3 IEP equivalents in each class. I'm looking at getting half a day a week as well. I'm just worried I'll be bringing a lot home with me.

Can I ask if you get a SEN allowance added to your salary? If not-are you just doing it for the experience?

If you are, do you get eg £1500 added on to your annual salary or is it pro rata-so if you only get half a day out as Senco-would you only get 0.05 of an allowance!?

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Re your role. Perhaps you need to alert your line manager to the SENCo standards if he / she not already aware. Your responsibilty will be about leading and managing provision of course and training the staff not just about creating a few documents or a handful of Personalised Learning Plans.