1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your most successful KS4 activity to practise Listening?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by angelita, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hi!
    I am really struggling to keep my Y11 engaged and motivated now that they have finished their CAs and they are still pretty weak at Listening. Does anyone please have any great ideas as to how to keep them on track?

Many thanks

2. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

You could try using music and gapfills- there is a thread on this right now.
    You could try having the answers or the missing vocab on the board jumbled up for them to find, if you're up for making the effort for them.
    How about conning them by differentiating it, by specifying that some qs are higher level and they don't need to attempt them- they may give the supposedly higher qs a go and that might give them a sense of achievement and encouragement.
    You COULD try to involve them by making them react kinaesthetically to a listening- they raise their right hand if they hear a noun, the left for a verb- although I don't think that would necessarily work with disaffected year 11s.
    You could cut the listening text into bits and hand it out and they have to hold up their bit if they hear it- make it a team competition.
    You could make a 'common sounds' of letters strip and put a paper clip on it, then when you read out words, they move the paperclip to the letters. This isn't my idea at all- a lady gave it to us on a course.
    I would go for the songs. Some will enjoy it.

3. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

I've just had an idea- kids are in teams, give each team a load of A5 scrap paper.
    Project up either vocab from your listening text or the answers to the listening task answers. Each team has to copy the individual phrases on separate pieces of paper. Then it's the grab and show game- you play the listening/read it out, it's the first team that holds up the correct word/phrase/answer that gets the point.

4. Three off the top of my head...

Build in some sort of running dictation activity into listening - my Year 11s adore this sort of activity - helps with concentration, and beleive it or not, holding the words in their heads - a very useful skill - you need to explain how that relates to listening to the CD in the exam - kids really struggle to hold one or two words, let alone phrases, sometimes!

Try reading out phrases backwards, building in one or two gaps, and they have to fill in the missing words.

Dictation - read out a phrase - fairly quickly- and they then have to select which picture most matches what you just read