1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your miracle cure?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’ve had a bad cold for a week now. I just can’t seem to shift it. Still coughing and blowing my nose, am tired and lethargic, achey, and sound a bit bunged up and chesty. I don’t feel I am ill enough to go to the doctors, it’s just annoying more than anything. I just wondered if you had any miracle cures I could try to shift the common cold? I would like to be able to enjoy at least some of half term.
    All ideas welcome. :)

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Not much to eat.
    But
    Lots and lots, unlimited amounts, of oranges.
    And some oranges.
    Finished with a nice orangey orange.

For verification, here are some cats and some oranges. Note how the cats do not appear to have a cold, and how the one on the left in particular is sleeping peacefully with clear airways.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  3. gargs

gargs Star commenter

My sons swear by zinc. I haven't tried it but they claim it's the most effective treatment ever!

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

A good old fashioned drink of lemon and honey?

agathamorse, nomad, lindenlea and 2 others like this.
  5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If you take the medication recommended, you will be fine in seven days. Otherwise it'll resolve itself in a week.

6. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

"Vitamin C and the common cold. ... Vitamin C has not decreased the frequency of colds in the general population, but it has halved the frequency of colds in people under heavy short-term physical stress. There is no effect of taking vitamin C in doses up to 8 grams per day after a cold has already begun."
    I remember when Linus first suggested this, other biochemists did think that he had lost the plot.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

After a week, it is not a cold, it is just the body's reaction to what the cold did. As you get older recovery times increase. They used to call the snot and bunged upness "catarrh" but you don't hear the word much. Can take up to two weeks to be decongestified and snotless. As the "common cold" is a virus, you are no longer infectious, and still more or less upright, I'd diagnose that you'll live.

8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I find a nice box of chocolates, a hot toddy and a good TV detective programme help.

9. install

install Star commenter

Rub some 'Vicks' on your chest every night ...:)

10. Over_the_hill

Thank you for your tips everyone and your prognosis Ivar. :)

My house is really untidy and in need of a good clean but I just don’t have the energy or the inclination. I’m just lying on the sofa staring at the dirt. Maybe tomorrow I’ll feel well enough.

Alice K and agathamorse like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Do you mean Vic?
    (As in decongestant!!)

12. install

install Star commenter

Yep...have already corrected:)

Curae and (deleted member) like this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Rest and drink loads of hot water or other hot watery drinks.

14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Rub a variety of substances on your chest to investigate how effective they are. Start with the Vaseline, then the Vicks, then - I don't know - mustard? Horse embrocation? Furniture polish? Rhubarb jam? Report back to us with your findings.

Lie down with your eyes closed or firmly fixed onto book or screen, so you don't see any mess and therefore feel no compulsion to do anything about it.

Disclaimer - very few of my suggestions are meant seriously and should not be followed. Listening to my nonsense is entirely at your own risk.

bonxie, Lala24, agathamorse and 6 others like this.
  15. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

A healthy tot of Laphroig helps clear the airways. Jakeman’s sweets used to but they have been over modified into nothing. There is a very goid whisky toddy called penicillin that helps - google for details. I’m currently in week three of a chest infection and feeling like limp lettuce.
    PS, when is Vic available for chest rubbing detail?

16. Ivartheboneless

Ackterully, when I have a bad cold I find coffee and tea sometimes taste a bit vile, and milky stuff, so I usually drink hi-juice blackcurrant cordigal made with hot water. It is more soothing, usually quicker and easier to make, but whether it is any different to other "fluids" I know not. I don't get any sympathy from the cat.

1 person likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Is that a pervy marinade straight from Dunty's dungeon?

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

...if your neighbours or window cleaner don't do so first.

fwiw, my own findings, having indulged in resorted to this recommended therapy several times, are not postable. Not on a Sunday, anyway.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    primarycat and (deleted member) like this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

There is always a wee dram of whiskey too ..On a serious note Vicks VaporRub works a treat

20. Over_the_hill

I remember when I was younger Tunes used to clear your nose really well so you could breathe easily. I went to the shop yesterday and it turns out they don’t make them anymore. Since when? What year did Tunes vanish????

agathamorse, emerald52 and install like this.