1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your least favourite thing to cook?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Reecedouglas1, May 8, 2019.

1. Reecedouglas1

Reecedouglas1 New commenter

For any reason , what do you hate cooking the most?

I hate cooking onions , always get watery eyed.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Boiled eggs!

I know the cliché goes 'can't even boil an egg', but I genuinely think soft boiling an egg perfectly is fraught with all sorts of difficulties, even for the competent cook. So many things can make a difference: freshness of eggs, size of eggs, starting temperature of eggs, size of pan, thickness of pan, pan material, how many eggs you're cooking...and that's before you even get to the method you go for. Starting in cold water/starting in hot water/bringing back to the boil and simmering/bringing back to the boil, heat off and lid on, etc.

I have got my preferred method (room temp eggs, into boiling water, 5 minutes from boiling, out and into cups) but I'm still always chuffed when I get a runny, non-snotty egg!

primarycat likes this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I really dislike peeling potatoes. Not difficult, but it always feels like a chore.

nick909 likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I always manage to get peas to boil over!
    Strangely, as a baker I really don't much enjoy the baking bit......boring!

primarycat likes this.
  5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I don’t mind peeling potatoes but I hate boiling them because I always underestimate how long they’re going to need to cook

primarycat likes this.
  6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Me too, actually making and baking is a chore. I only do the traditional fruit cakes, but the endless weighing out of huge quantities of ingredients is boring and tiresome. The joy is in the decorating.

primarycat likes this.
  7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Rice. Always mess it up. Even the 2 minute microwave pouch things I end up ruining.

primarycat likes this.
  8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am totally the other way round. I love to bake but hate decorating.

The eating part is good too :rolleyes:

primarycat likes this.
  9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We should get together!!

primarycat likes this.