1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your idea of edtech heaven and hell, past and present?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I remember when OHPs were the new technology. Only problem was that with dimmed classroom lights, some of my students fell asleep. ------ Absolutely nothing to do with my teaching, I quickly add!!

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Remember when we had to use slates and then we got paper and dip pens? This is witless. I finished my career in teaching not long after Grainne started and I was using blackboards, white boards, IWB, OHPs, computer suites, photocopiers, chalk, pencils, pens, data loggers but not banda. They were all improved ways of doing things that made the job better and easier in the main. I also liked using a real blast from the past; BOOKS. I preferred letting pupils do practicals rather than doing computer simulations but I used computer simulations when practical. I think I am very far from being alone.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Assuming software is included, Powerpoint is top of my edtech bestiary. I loathe it.

Dreamweaver on the other hand was among my favourite software, as were Dance eJay and Paint Shop Pro.

Favourite solid technology - air conditioning units in computer rooms.

5. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

"the Banda machine was the photocopier machine of the 1960s."

I started teaching in the mid to late 80's and we still had a Banda (not for long though, I admit).

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I worked at a primary school which had air-con and water coolers in every classroom - a boon in Summer!

FrankWolley likes this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

The best and worst inventions (from the pupil side of the business!)

THE BEST

EC3DC4E1-3947-4564-AFB2-2ADDDB6AC40B.png

THE WORST
    C3B4DC91-0703-4CA5-ABFC-1042436295FF.jpeg

8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Interactive whiteboards!
    Absolutely hate them as they are not used properly!

[I never used to hate them; I used to think they were fantastic until after years of use, I realised that so many teachers never used them properly!]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    schoolsout4summer likes this.