1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your favourite topic to teach (Juniors)?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Apr 11, 2011.

1. We haven't embraced thematic planning yet, but may be.
    THinking of trying a topic and seeing how I can plan around what we need to get done.
    What topics have you enjoyed teaching?

2. I mostly enjoy teaching History and Geography based topics such as Tudors / Vikings and Rivers / Coasts. I've found that the kids get an awful lot out of these topics as you can get a lot of writing out of them in Literacy and then my topic lessons can be more skill / art / DT based.

I tend to only pick topics I'm interested in though. Makes it easier to be enthusiastic about my teaching and getting the kids enthused.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I've always enjoyed the 'our town' type topics. Big map up on the wall, lots of local history and geography.
    I like Space too, and my son did a topic called 'getting there' (transport, basically) which he loved (being car and train obsessed!).
    I've just finished a term's work in a school where they are looking at the idea of basing blocks of work (I think that's what they intend) called 'Take one...' where everything (as much as possible) is taken from one painting/object etc - I enjoyed that! They then have termly themes that everything they do sits under (as much as poss, anyway).

4. We recently did the Normans.... loved it!!!
    I do enjoy history based topics, next term its the Blitz