1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is your favourite National Trust property?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And what do you like, or dislike, about the National Trust?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Haven't been for decades! But now you mention it - Baddesley Clinton? The moat?

upload_2016-3-2_15-6-16.png

Stokesay? Coz it's like a castle an' evryfink.

upload_2016-3-2_15-7-0.png

Plas Newydd? Ladies of Llangollen. Nudge nudge wink wink.
    upload_2016-3-2_15-7-51.png

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Hardwick Hall. It's an absolute gem.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I like their bits of the Pembrokeshire Coast, especially Marloes Sands

I dislike their admission prices for stately piles. They're obviously a very wealthy organisation who charge a subscription fee and target their shop stock at fairly well-off people, but they rely heavily on unpaid volunteers. That doesn't seem right.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    InkyP likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Probably Lydford Gorge.

Dislike their membership prices, particularly prices for life membership, and the fact that NT and English Heritage should combine but haven't.

InkyP and Middlemarch like this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

[​IMG] I love the autumn colours at Sheffield Park Gardens.

I agree with Middly about Hardwick Hall, It is indeed a knockout and I love the smell of the rushes all over the floors

Jamietzu likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They are expensive but they seem to be opening more places through the winter lately. And they usually have good tearooms.

lindenlea likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We go to Charlecote A LOT for a stroll and a cup of tea. Baddesley Clinton is small and lovely - happy memories of the time we took our granddaughter - she loved it "There's a shop grandma!" Hidcote is also lovely. We're members atm and probably will keep it up - for the tearooms if nothing else.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The shops are good. The tickets are expensive. Very good points by @nomad and @magic surf bus.

To whit: volunteers and combining with English Heritage.

Chirk. And so close to the Pontcysyllte.
    upload_2016-3-2_15-31-57.png

And Coughton Court. Just because it's a stone's throw from here really.
    upload_2016-3-2_15-33-59.png

And Hill Top. Because of Peter Rabbit.
    upload_2016-3-2_15-34-40.png

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I looked into volunteering at Hardwick Hall as it's near where I live although they didn't need anybody and I ended up doing something else. I would have been happy to work as an unpaid guide (especially if I got to dress up) but I noticed that the tearooms at NT properties are also run by volunteers. I think cooking and serving in a café should be paid work even if only minimum wage.

12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I didn't know that! And it makes me wonder why the Trust is spending millions on building a replica of Clandon, the property that was gutted recently by fire.

13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

That's near me.

I love Chartwell, Churchills old home. When we visited I walked into his study and I was the only person in there. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

The only things I hate about the NT is that they don't allow dogs into their gardens. Also just a bit expensive. That's why we have Scottish membership but live in England. Much cheaper.

We are also members of Historic Houses Association and they are good value for money.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

So could I do that, Jamie?

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I thought that the room guides were volunteers but cafe and shop staff were paid.

16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Yes you can, just go on the Scottish NT website.

Lascarina likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Anything they have in the Lake District...

I mean the land, not properties.

Easter roll on! Four nights in Keswick wooo!!! [excited!]

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We've got Scottish membership... parents got us it for XMas via their Scottish address.

19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Ham House is probably my favourite but Stourhead is lovely too. I've been to so many, from the Lake District all the way down to Cornwall, that I find it hard to choose an absolute favourite.

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The membership's too much for us.

Mr F's cousin is a volunteer, clearing ditches, gardening, chopping logs etc. He said it was a real mission to get taken on and took ages.