1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what is your claim to fame?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jonowen, Oct 30, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Let's try a more light-hearted and positive thread (please)
    My claim to fame is that (cough,cough) I taught 2 boys in S1 who are now playing SPL football and they scored goals for their respective teams yesterday!
    Also, I had a kiss from Jimmy Saville (RIP), in a lay-by near Brora, when he was having a rest-stop during one of his John O'Groats to Land's End charity runs.
    [​IMG]

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

<address>Oh, that takes me back, did they have a song called Margin Skywalker?</address>I can't tell anyone of you my claims (note plural) to fame, you would identify me and then I would have to kill you all.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I used to work in a restaurant whose clientele included local footballers,theatre types and local great and good. Most were very nice but I remember serving a local politican who is still very much active in Scottish politics. Never said thank you and ignored staff when we were serving him. That stuck in my mind.

4. I was on the same plane as Elvis Costello once (I didn't recognise him, but the colleague I was with was very excited!). I also sat at the table next to Elaine C. Smith in Princes' Square once. My mad mum was talking about her at the top of her voice, while I cringed opposite, but ECS graciously ignored the whole thing...

5. In P7 I was chosen to sing (as part of a group) to the Queen when she visited our town.
    Another time in P7 people from Moray House came to film in our class and I had the joy of watching myself on the big screen as a BEd student (ok, so not that big a claim to fame!)
    I once held the door of a chippy open for Ally McCoist (a long time ago and at the height of his Rangers career). He told the girl behind the counter one supper was for him, one for his wife and one for his dog. He also bought 2 bottles of irn-bru (hence me opening the door).

6. Indeed they did! but my favourite was "waiting room" *screams "here in the waiting room " in an indie rock stylee.
    At least give us a clue to your claim to fame !!

7. Ooh - does royalty count ? I was on camera with the queen. She was visiting Yorkhill hospital and I was unconscious wean bleeding on nice white pillow after having something done to adenoids or something !

come on Kibosh- fess up!

8. My daughter worked in Stravaigin 2, and served Paolo Nutini, who touched the wine cork, so she posted it home to me as she knows how much I love him!!!!

So I have Paolo's popped cork in my handbag at all times - what a claim to fame!!!

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Sorry, can't.

10. I forgot to mention in my earlier post (and it's been bugging me...) that I discovered/invented Imaginary Numbers, when being taught (at a prestigious Edinburgh Public school in the early 1970s) that there was no such thing as the square root of a negative number.

My teachers ridiculed my idea that one could just imagine a number with that function.

I should have written it down - who'd be laughing now?

More a claim to 'should-have-been-fame', I suppose.

11. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Is that an imaginary K100RT then Tom?

12. It's a sadly demised K75RT, named Binky. Repairs were starting to cost more the HP on my new bike, and - more importantly - it couldn't be relied on to get me to work.
    (My profile picture, for non-motorcycling readers, snapped, btw at Carter Bar...)

but its replacement has all-too-complicated numbers and letters. A fantastic bike, but it's such a mouthful to say "a bee-em-double-you Are-eleven-fifty-Gee-Ess-(Adventure)" when asked what I ride. I'd like to just imagine a simple model name, like: "Oh, yeah: now I'm riding a black square root of minus 17..."

How cool would that sound?
    Shame I've called it "Snuffles"!! (After Sirius Black: black, geddit? And the noise of the boxer engine, which almost snuffles at idle speeds).

13. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Thought so. PM sent so as not to bore the cagers!

14. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

Radio One ran a similar thing to this thread a few years ago_One wee guy phoned up to say his dad knew a man who fitted Lawrie McMenemy's windows.Hard to compete with that.

15. I held the record for the Middlesbrough girls long jump (age 14) for a number of years.
    I stayed in the same hotel in Scotland as Susan Boyle when she was filming for her last years DVD.
    I had two dates with a premier footballer whilst he was still an unknown.

16. I once shared a mint choc chip ice cream with Sir Clement Freud in B. Janettas in St Andrews.