1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is with all these weird names?!?1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sazzlebomb, Jan 19, 2011.

1. As a NQT I have to say I am horrified and amused at the strange, chavy and ridiculous names children have these days! Some just plain weird, others normal but spelt so wrong. I guess the parents are trying to be 'different' and do not realise that instead of unique it just sounds really common. Here are some classics -
    Blaze Leum (Liam) Prince & Princess
    Khyron Chance Kodi/Kole
    Labia (yes really) Sianna (Shauna, apparently) River
    Rian (Ryan) Dantea

I'm sure you must all have some to make us laugh!

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I once taught a Genghis Khan. When asked if he knew who Genghis Khan was the reply came, "Yes, my dad named me after him!"

Apple Pax still has to be my all-time favourite. Sounds like a My Little Pony.

3. Wow some parents really don't have any sense do they?

4. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

I just started placement this week and I find it annoying that I have to remember to spell some of the children's names as Ayden, Lhion and Baylee

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I know!

Some parents pick horrible names like James, Thomas and John! I feel for those children when they grow up.
    Or even worse, people who pick 'classic' names to try and be different - like Grace, Alfie, Olivia, Harry. The funny thing being that everyone picks those names so the children aren't individual at all.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Isnt it spelt chavvy?
    Beware, OP. You're on dangerous ground here, and not doing yourself any favours by using the word chavvy, which makes you sound a bit, erm, snobbish.
    We all see names that sound alarm bells because of past experience but even more experience tells us to mistrust our prejudices since there'll always be a likeable J or Z or whatever to confound them in the end.

7. So what constitutes a normal name and who decides whether it is spelt correctly? (I note you feel that Liam is acceptable, but Rian and Sianna are not - even though they are all Celtic names and use the same schema for spelling.)

8. Good advice, inky.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you, Irulan. Sianna is an Irish name and it means 'The Lord is Gracious.'
    I just googled it, which is what the OP should have done.
    I did hear today of a parent who, when asked by admin to spell her child's name, couldn't. Not EAL, by the way. That does astonish me, though it shouldn't.
    Over the years I've had my laughs at the expense of children's names and the daftness of their parents for being so ignorant or pretentious in their choices. Now I just take each child as it comes and, more importantly, try not to judge parents by their choice of name.
    Of course, there is the human equivalent of the pitbull terrier called Terminator, but I've rarely encountered him.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

'Real' names, whether English or Irish, I can live with. I do have difficulty taking some names seriously. For example, according to today's Telegraph, Jonathan Ross named his three children Betty Kitten, Harvey Kirby and Honey Kinny.

11. Ive got to admit... I LOVE unusual and maybe unconventional names...although I find Labia very unusual - I guessing its a girl, is she from a foreign background/heritage? I think its because my name is spelt a little unusually, not drastic just and extra 'l', I have discovered that some communities, like Indian have a birth year letter - not sure why again which is why we have a Salex.

Bill Bailey's son is called Dax after a Klingon warrior! I like it and why not ?????? Although, my cousin tried to use a traditional name in order to be different and called her son Archie....he is now one of 6 in his little Nursery/Preschool...AWWWW....

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Well, with Betty and Harvey, that's two out of three normal names. Honey is a bit soft but never mind. I doubt very much whether their parents or classmates will use the second names when they address the children, so it really doesn't matter inthe long run.
    I do feel sympathy for the son of a friend's friends. They were seventies hippy types living somewhere in the hippy sticks. They called their unforunate son Blackberry.
    Thank God for deed poll.

13. Sorry for the spelling mistake, hopefully that will prove it is not a word I use frequently and put your mind at rest. Just because I am a teacher does not mean I have to be serious and set an example all the time. It is hardly dangerous ground, on a par with racism, sexism...[namism?] Nor am I snobby, but I do hear Jeremy Kyle is planning to do a 'name' special next week.......

14. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Come into my school and try to pronounce/spell some of our children's names. They would certainly come under your category of "weird" names in comparison to "normal English" names so yes, I would say it's being racist.

15. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Unusual names are fantastic (although Labia may be in for some fun when she? is older - more fun if its a he).
    My full name is "Benedict" - all I learnt from that was not to take myself too seriously, making fun out of my name became second nature and was, in all honesty, quite enjoyable. I am glad now that I am not a John, Paul or David. Life would have been very different.

16. taj

taj

17. I can't speak.......... named after characters in horror films?

18. I didn't think that it was needed to state the obvious, that names from other cultures are different. I was not talking about that, because its obvious! Racist? give me a break and 8 lighten up. Are all teachers this boring?

19. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I would say those that pick a name in the top 10 lists are that boring, yes.

I take it your children (current or future) will be called - Alfie, Thomas, Olivia and Jack

20. In my opinion, who are we to judge what other people call their children? I'm teaching in Thailand at the moment and it's names like Caroline, Harry, Jim, John, Thomas etc. that are considered strange and out of the ordinary. And they actually really struggle with my name and other names like Lauren, Suzy and Lorraine and Becky. Whereas I have many children with names like Arm, Ploy, Pink, Blue, Captain, Toyota, I even have a Santa! Yes they're interesting and difficult to get the hang of, but I'd much rather have a class of students with names like that than a class of Julie's and Peter's. At the end of the day, in a diverse and multi-cultural place such as the UK, that's something that teachers are going to have to get used to. And I think it's unfair to call them weird, unusual or uncommon, fine, but weird I think is actually quite rude personally.