1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is transformational writing, and how do you go about teaching it?

Discussion in 'English' started by captain_picard, Feb 5, 2011.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

I have to teach this at interview next week, and I've never taught it before. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Anthony

2. captain_picard

I have to teach this at interview next week, and I've never taught it before. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Anthony

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Very much depends on group. It could be using a text (a Shakespeare play or a novel for example) and rewriting it as something completely different, perhaps as a newpaper report, a ballad or magazine article. Or it could be writing something from a different viewpoint - unless it's sixth form, I would keep it simple. In one lesson, you're only going to get ideas or opening paragraphs.

4. captain_picard

It's for Year 11. Is this part of the new spec, the recreations unit?

Thanks

5. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

We're using the poetry from the new anthology as an introduction. Brothers seems to lend itself to writing about siblings, but still thinking about a more formal plan.
    By using texts they will be studying anyway, it's easier and a new perspective usually works well - the poem starts off with the line 'Saddled with you for the afternoon...' which would give you scope for students writing as the younger brother. They could incorporate elements of the poem into their writing.
    Hope this helps and good luck with the interview.