1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is this guy's point?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Jonntyboy, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-education-becoming-political-football-once-again

What is his point? Yes, I'm sure we all agree with his statements of the obvious. Though he doesn't say which lives he wants to save - he can't save everybody's!

Nobody would argue with this - a point that many of us have made on here several times:

"Young people have struggled in lockdown with the lack of routine, social contact and support. Whether they would admit it or not, they have missed their teachers. For many young people, school staff are the key protective factor in their lives."

But:

"A second deadly wave of this virus resulting in another extended lockdown would do more harm to the health and wellbeing of the nation than a period of "blended learning" will."

How does he know this? We might not need another lockdown, provided that the numbers, and demographic, of people needing treatment, is within NHS capacity - and don't forget that we now have an effective treatment for some patients and no doubt more will appear as test results are analysed.

As for:

"If the two-metre rule changes – and it seems very likely to do so – school leaders will need time to re-adjust current re-opening plans. I sincerely hope colleagues will not be expected to do this in the last few days of the school year, or during the holidays."

Good heavens! It isn't rocket science - you don't need a month of meetings to organise classrooms differently!

And as for "education becoming a political football", of course it is. You can trace that on these boards when the "perfect" left gleefully fastened on to every mistake, possible mistake or even comment of the government, usually with the benefit of hindsight, to score party points.

But after reading through the article, one is left wondering what the point of it is. It states some obvious truths, but provides no direction or even suggestions for how to make things better. A bit like some SLTs.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Covid19 spikes are inevitable as seen in Germany, UK and China. China has effectively gone into a lockdown again.No foreign arrivals. They are terrified of a second wave.

Sometimes an obvious truth just needs stating in black and white. It is there for all to see and argue for or against.
    Personally, if pubs and cinemas are open, I cannot see how schools do not reopen. We just have to accept the inevitable spikes. Unlike CHina, the UK does not have an effective track and trace system in place which is really worrying me.

3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

If pubs and cinemas are open, how can schools not?

I’ll reverse that.

If cinemas and pubs can only open with 2m (or 1m) social distancing, why should schools not reopen with the same restrictions?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

They can - but not for every pupil all day (just as pubs and cinemas won't be able to allow as many visitors as they could, pre-Covid.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

We can only surmise what the next months hold for us all. Can we learn from the lessons of the past months ? Perhaps we should look again at how pandemics in the past have behaved and see if that could inform our decisions now ? upload_2020-6-23_8-3-55.jpeg

6. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

It’s good to read a balanced article for a change. I agree that we want the children back, but we must do our best to make it safe. Announcing now that all children will be back in Sept full time is somewhat premature given we won’t know what the Covid situation will be. Rather like saying all children will be in on the 3rd December regardless of fire, flood or blizzard. We just can’t know yet. A month of a more gradual entry eg half school in for part week and swap would allow children to be eased in and supported with mental wellbeing with smaller groups, support staff who are a bit vulnerable, and allow us to take stock. Rather than second guessing now when we are weeks away.