1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the right amount of assessment? (Primary)

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by jemma88, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm on the primary GTP and this is my seminar title. Just wondered what teachers generally thought about this?
    Thanks,
    Jem x

2. Hi,
    I'm on the primary GTP and this is my seminar title. Just wondered what teachers generally thought about this?
    Thanks,
    Jem x

3. I guess the right amount of assessment is that which is enough to ensure your teaching, and the children's learning, are building carefully upon children's prior learning. I think this is done best by continuous assessment, using levelled assessment criteria/curriculum targets as a basis for the cycle of planning, marking and feedback, leading into more planning etc. This way, the teacher and child can monitor how successful the learning has been every day. Provided children are required to demonstrate their learning independently, success in the work set will show whether progress is being made. So, the child's current assessment level is never in doubt. If you click on my name, you will find a sheet that shows how this works in practice called "Make Writing and Maths Targets Work". I find this method is more reliable than reliance upon occasional "testing" or "levelling".
    I have also added to "my resources" a very short story about continuous assessment.
    Good luck with your course!