1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the requirements for teaching Chinese Mandarin in Dubai international school?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tonglijun85, Jun 17, 2018.

1. tonglijun85

tonglijun85 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am native Chinese Mandarin speaker currently living in Dubai.

My part - time Mandarin tutor experience from the last couple of months brought me a lot of joy, I would say it makes me even a happier person now.

I am considering a career change, teach ing in an international school would be really something nice.

I am holding a B.A degree in English literature, and my Putonghua ( Standard Chinese Mandarins) Proficiency Test result is Grade A in Level Two which makes me qualified for a Chinese Mandarin teacher position in China mainland.

As I know, there are not so many international schools offering Chinese Mandarin courses.

Is there anybody knows the requirements for being a Chinese Mandarin teacher in Dubai?

Kind regards,
    Jun

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2018
  2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Hi, do you have a teaching certificate/qualification? As that might be your first step.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I wonder how many international schools having Mandarin on the curriculum.

Of course, one of the best ways to get a job in an international school is to go to something called "The Times Educational Supplement" website. This is usually called "TES" for short. On this website, there is a section for advertisements for teaching positions. Some of them are in schools in the UK and some are in international schools all around the world. Therefore the OP should see if there are any advertisements for Mandarin teachers and then he or she should apply for these teaching jobs. Sometimes this involves filling in a document called "an application form" and sometimes just a letter of application and a CV (Resume) are required. Then the head or the principal of the school may contact you and offer you an interview for the job. Sometimes this is on something called SKYPE and sometimes this will mean a face-to-face interview, so you may have to do some travelling. At the interview, the principal may ask you some questions. Then you will eventually (maybe three or four days later) be told whether or not you have been given the teaching job. I hope that is all clear, tonglijun85.

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

FWIW I did a quick google of "dubai school mandarin" and found a couple of Chinese language institutes, a link to an international school that states it's the only school in the UAE to offer Mandarin and an old news story about a Chinese International School opening in Dubai (but I guess it never happened?)

It might be worth contacting them via their websites and applying directly.