1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the purpose of the GCSE?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by elder_cat, Feb 4, 2018.

1. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Established commenter

You're proposing a brave new world there @Vince-Ulam

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

This. With the opportunity to complete modules at any age and, if it only takes you a week, as speedily or as slowly as you desire.

But we'd need far more teachers so it'll never happen.

3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

With the expected take-up of Artificial Intelligence and gathering data from the interactions with computers such as participation on blogs it is easy to assess use of vocabulary, grammar, original ideas, subject knowledge etc. Even gaming can be used to measure reaction time, mental agility and real time problem solving. Teachers will ensure core modules are well covered, guide pupils toward an objective and play to their subject strengths in small groups.
    If you were to assess my content on TES what score would you give me?

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Andertoons.com, accessed 7th February 2018.

elder_cat likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

I think some people would prefer it. Not me.

6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

I think there is a lot of room for compromise that can be biased to give teachers a much more satisfying career playing a more active part in a decision making process rather than a cog in a DFE sausage machine.

7. Vince_Ulam

We had that before. As things stand teaching is driven by unnecessary data. We do not need your "matrix", your alternative sausage machine.

8. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Lots of teachers have the qualifications to be teachers. Does that make them all good or excellent teachers?

9. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

The thread was originally about the GCSE, as opposed to 'qualifications' in general. That said, I don't believe passing the PGCE, is meant to guarantee you will become a good or excellent teacher. It simply highlights what is considered to be 'good practice' (aka flavour of the month), and allows you the opportunity to put those practices to work in a classroom setting. How well the potential teacher is able to do those things, will vary from one person to another, and has nothing to do with the underlying qualification. The fact you have the PGCE simply offers some assurance to an employer, that in theory, you have the potential to at least do the job adequately.

10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

I dont think anyone was asserting or implying this. Let me put it this way. Supposing you were an employer and you needed someone who needed to be good at at Maths. Four people apply for the job: two have a good GCSE pass in Mathematics and two do not. Why would you interview the two who did not have the appropriate Maths qualification?