1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the procedure when you leave?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Georgia99, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Sorry if this is a daft question but this is my first teaching post.
    I gave notice to leave 30 April which means after the holidays there will only be two weeks until I leave. The only thing I have heard is from my NQT mentor who wants to complete the interim paperwork for me to take for when I am at another school to finish my NQT year.
    I have not had anything in writing from the head confirming my leaving date, is this normal?
    I do not know who is taking over from me for the rest of the academic year, I am covering maternity and the postholder returns on the first day of the summer hols so they effectively need a teacher for the whole term but have not advertised. I am assuming they will use a long term cover but I have not been informed of this or asked to 'handover' to anyone during my last week.
    My hod said she knows nothing about what is happening.
    If I do not hear anything in my last week before leaving, should I go and see the head? or should I just leave 30 April and not do anything else?

2. From what you have said, you are not moving to a new teaching post at the start of the summer term. Most leavers finish at the Easter hols and are not expected back to work their notice in the new term.
    I suggest you write formally to the Headteacher asking if you are required after the holidays. Say that if you hear nothing you will act in line with the usual conventions and not return after the holidays, but will expect the school to honour your resignation date of 30th April.
    The other matters regarding handover etc only become your concern if you are asked to take any action, otherwise just leave everything in good order.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have my doubts about this advice. If you are moving to another school, then you are paid by them from the start of term. If not, you have a contract to work at your current school until 30 April, and will be breaking it if you don't turn up unless you have been told not to. I don't think lack of a response to a letter counts as permission not to turn up. I would simply turn up on the first day of term, and ask them what they want you to do. In any case, it is only fair on your students if you do have some kind of handover.

4. Not to have reveived even an acknowledgment from the school is simply rude. You are contracted until the end of April, so unless you have heard otherwise you should attend for work at the start of the new term. If your replacement is in the staffroom then slight embarassment alround, but that would be for the school to resolve.
    Bear in mind you may want a reference fronm the school at some point.

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hello and thank you for the advice.
    My new post is within education but not in a school and I am starting that post in May. I therefore put on my resignation letter that I would leave 30 April and made it clear my new job started in May.
    I am concerned because I have had no acknowledgement of my intention to leave. I have started to worry that the head did not receive my notice although I am confident they did because I handed the letter directly to the head's PA. With my contract being for maternity, I did not know what my notice requirements were and my contract was not particularly clear. I missed the 28 February deadline for normal teachers by about a week but I felt that nearly two month's notice seemed reasonable considering my contract is just for maternity leave.
    I am guessing that my best option on return after Easter is to contact the head or his PA and ask about the procedure for me leaving? I am so worried now that they will say I can't leave or say they don't have my notice letter.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

2 months may seem reasonable but that's kind of irrelevant. What is relevant is what your contract says! What did it say? It is a bit weird you haven't heard anything, I wouldn't leave it til after the hols if I were you, the head is bound to be in school (or someone will be) or they may have a personal email address you can use.
    Are you primary or secondary? I find it odd that u handed in notice nearly a month ago and haven't seen the head since, or if you have this hasn't been mentioned. I'm primary and see the head on an almost daily basis and whenever I see her I'd say hi and she often asks me how things are going.

7. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I work in a large comprehensive school. I haven't spoken to the head since I started at the school, my only contact was during interview. I am in a seperate teaching block to the rest of the school which doesn't help.
    My contract states 'your contract is to cover maternity leave and this will end with notice upon the return of the postholder'. There is no information regarding how I give notice if I want to end the contract.
    I think not hearing anything from the head is standard as another member of teaching staff is currently off sick with stress. He has asked to return after Easter part time but apparantly he had not had a response to this request even last week.
    If I had to work beyond 30 April I could not cope. For a start I would lose my new job offer and then be unemployed from July anyway. I also cannot cope with the behaviour management side of teaching at my current school as I have difficult classes (I have already received been physically assaulted and verbally abused on a number of occasions in the last term).

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

That makes more sense that you're in a large secondary.

I think it's strange your contract doesn't have a notice period on it, I think most maternity contracts state "at the post holders return or 2 months from either party" though the 2 months part varies a LOT. there has to be a way for you to get out early if you want. I'm no expert on this though.

If I were you, I'd email the head now, just saying "I wish to confirm you received my letter dated xx.xx.xx as I have received no reply. My final day of employment will be 30.04.12. Please confirm receipt of this message." or similar. If you handed in notice in early march to leave at the end of April, if they were not happy with that or there was an issue with the contract they should have mentioned that straight away.

Have you spoken about this with your line manager/HOD/nqt mentor?