1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the point of league tables?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by moscowbore, Oct 29, 2019.

1. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

I wouldn’t normally sign in at this time of night, but had to in order to say how much I agree with this.

This current situation in some schools is completely unnecessary.

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Why.? It creates ‘failures ‘, however good all those schools are.
    Surely we should aspire to all schools being ‘up to standard’
    I contend that most schools are probably ‘up to scratch’ The few that aren’t can then have the concentrated local and Contextual support or ‘penalty’ that’s needed. (As happened before) rather than a flying ‘hit’ squad.
    Inspections are possible with out rankings/ league tables etc (as they once were) and can report on a wide range of educational provision within schools.

If League tables are so successful , why are there still failing schools. Clearly they’re not working ( or could it be that there is a political (note the lower case p) reason to create failing schools.
    (The constant change of what is meant by outstanding good/satisfactory or 4/3/2/1 suggests this)

what is wrong with a single ‘pass/fail’ with the inspecting team then supporting the school in reaching an acceptable standard across a range of Educational issues.If the inspection team can’t achieve that - there is a problem other than the school (intake, funding, instability of population or even the inadequacy of the inspection)

Perhaps a more cooperative approach, is likely to avoid the game playing of ‘hiding known inadequacies’ versus ‘finding idiosyncrasies or imagined inadequacies to fit the brief’
    it was certainly my experience pre league tables.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    JohnJCazorla and tenpast7 like this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If you believe that you are running your school well, you can check this belief against a benchmark of league tables and inspection, even if you accept that both are flawed. That must be a good thing, surely? And if you truly are running things well, you should have nothing to fear?

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

That old saw, 'you should have nothing to fear'. As in:

• Let's reintroduce the 'sus' laws, after all if you aren't doing anything wrong you should have nothing to fear.
    • Let's have more CCTV cameras with facial recognition, after all if you aren't doing anything wrong you should have nothing to fear.
    • Let's have microchips inserted under your skin to monitor where you go, who you meet with, what you say, after all if you aren't doing anything wrong you should have nothing to fear etc etc!

JohnJCazorla likes this.