1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the point in the nqt file?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by modgepodge, Apr 1, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Not a rant, a genuine question. I didn't have to do a file of evidence for my pgce so this is the first time I've done one. I'm struggling cos I am dreadful with paperwork and have an excellent memory so don't think to write things down.

I thought the point was we collected evidence to enabled our mentor to see we are meeting the standards and to help them write our report. However, my first report targets are mainly "put more evidence in your file". Apparently my mentor knows I'm meeting certain standards but I need to provide evidence. Why? If she knows I'm meeting them why does she require evidence? Isn't her word as a professional evidence?

Have I completely missed the point here?

2. modgepodge

Not a rant, a genuine question. I didn't have to do a file of evidence for my pgce so this is the first time I've done one. I'm struggling cos I am dreadful with paperwork and have an excellent memory so don't think to write things down.

I thought the point was we collected evidence to enabled our mentor to see we are meeting the standards and to help them write our report. However, my first report targets are mainly "put more evidence in your file". Apparently my mentor knows I'm meeting certain standards but I need to provide evidence. Why? If she knows I'm meeting them why does she require evidence? Isn't her word as a professional evidence?

Have I completely missed the point here?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Its to cover your backside if things start going pear shaped. Make one! (Some on resources section you can use) x

4. modgepodge

Oh I have one it's just not got much in it!put notes from nqt trainings and insets and stuff but apparently I should be making notes about conversations with parents and things...I think my school just likes paperwork.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This must depend on your school or your LA. My NQT last year didn't need a folder of evidence and nor does my NQT this year.

I trust my NQT when she says she has liaised with the SENCO about a child in her class, I'd not want a transcript of the conversation! I know she went to parents evening, no need for a note about it.

Glad she doesn't need one, I'd never get round to looking through it!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Lol just use the 1 per page standards and stick all bits of paper in behind the relevant standard (sheet for parents evening, SEN paperwork, tracking/assessments, SoW etc...) You don't really need to do 'more' if you just do it as you go [​IMG] x