1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the old GCE O Level grade equivalent in terms of todays GCSE grades?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kimwalsh, Nov 6, 2009.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In Science these days an O level F would get you a 9.

blazer likes this.
  2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

The table in 37 implies that it is worth an A* which it wasn't - there is a line missing from the table.
    From the link

upload_2018-5-5_11-54-15.png
    makes my point better.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As I said, direct comparisons are difficult. I remember a number of experienced teachers who had taught the CSE as well as 'O' Levels, and then went on to GCSEs, and saying that a good CSE 1 was far more of an achievement than a GCSE C.

PS As someone who did their O Levels in 1973 (most of them, anyway) - I'd say lumping together a '3' & '4' makes the whole thing pointless: there was a big difference between those two grades...o_O

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

The new grade 9 is likely equivalent to the 'O' level grade A, based on the %age of the cohort who achieve it.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

IGCSE? or whatever it now is.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Buy the ones for the Board you are entering through.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It was originally recorded as the 'equivalent' to an 'O' Level pass but not graded.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

*^&%*%$£!*^&$^% old threads.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

In some tribes the murderer is securely bound to the victim, mouth to mouth and nose to nose and left to die. Such a fate should be meted out to those who resurrect old threads.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This statement is absolute carp by me ...what was i taking when i wrote this as i do not remember writing this jumbley rubbish.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Wasn't there something about your age not so long ago?

border_walker likes this.
  13. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Letters, numbers, letters, numbers. I can see a pattern here everytime it is deemed a change is needed to improve the system.

FrankWolley likes this.
  14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

8 years! - I didn’t even notice

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Yes might be matey lol
    More likely the keys on the keyboard move when I try to type the correct word lol

racroesus likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

All changed now though. Exams are at the end of year 11 and no coursework. But there are around 6 to 9 required practicals for each subject depending on whether you are doing double or triple science. I don't think it is possible these days to get 1 GCSE in one year through a school. It may be possible elsewhere.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You were probably sober back then!;) I know I was

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's why I was wondering about IGCE. They didn't have practical assessment, I thought. I never used them so I could very well be wrong.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't forget that, in my day (1971), you were allowed to fail. Nobody held your hand through it or cheated to get you a better grade. Their jobs didn't depend on YOUR success or application. Your various reports would have indicated whether or not you were a lazy g.it and ought to pull up your socks. But no teacher was ever going to do it for you.

I dare say we would all have done far better if we'd had the constant spoon-feeding and boot up the backside kids get these days.

Which makes the results highly questionable.

border_walker likes this.
  20. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

The only "cheating" I remember was double entry for O Level and CSE. Probably better to call it gaming the system. The equivalence of the 2 would be more apparent, if these double entries had been analysed. may have been but I have never seen any figures for it.