1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the old GCE O Level grade equivalent in terms of todays GCSE grades?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kimwalsh, Nov 6, 2009.

1. I took my GCE O Levels and CSEs in 1984. As I am interested in applying for a GTP programme I need English, Maths & science passes.
    I have a biology D grade at O Level. Would this be classed as a fail still or equivalent to a GCSE pass now? My GTP application could rely on this information!
    Thanks

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

you'd need at least a 'c' pass.

3. I'm assuming you mean at GCE O Level. Can anyone suggest a quick, part time course in a science?
    Looks like I'm going to need to re-sit it!!

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

in the 'old days' a cse 1/2 was = to a gce C grade or maybe B. This all chamged when they moved to a combined gcse and then the mark was according to the level you achieved.
    So a d is stil a d i think....secondary folfk might be able to help you.

5. I thought that it was only those who sat their exams after 1989 that needed science? That's what we were told at uni a couple of years ago.

6. impis

impis New commenter

Was D a fail? I though D and E were still passes. F was fail.

kgoddard likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sadly a D at O level is classed as a fail however those of us in the know realise that a D in a good old fashioned O level is probably the equivalent of an A* GCSE now!

8. Hence the reason I'm getting so confused. [​IMG]

9. Apparently that was scrapped. It now applies to everyone. I tried that with our local teacher training programme people.

10. oldsomeman

when i did my o leveles in nightschool i was taught the = of an a level, and when doing A level is that of the man's degree!
    When i showed my o level and a leverl apers to my kids they said they couldnt do them!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The good news is that it was never easier to get a C in science at GCSE. Ask at your local secondaries if they will enter you for the yr 10 Core GCSE exams. You do 6 multi choice module tests, you can revise for these by buying a revision guide (about £4) and possibly a text book (around a tenner). If the school is any use they will find you a member of staff who will let you have old copies of test papers. They may even allow you to do the ISA (what was coursework) in school either with a class or in your own time. Last year my school had 7 or 8 external candidiates for science GCSE. I ran a couple of saturday morning ISA sessions for them (they paid me a tenner each) which took about 3 hours to do the prac, mark it then do the ISA test and mark that. They all got a C (one got an A).

The exam board (AQA) has a list of schools who will take external candidates. One of them came from Bradford and another from Suuthampton (we are in Birmingham). If you live local to me then pm me and I will put you in touch with our exam secretary who can let yopu know what is needed.

12. In addition, entrants for primary
    or Key Stage 2/3 courses born on or after 1
    September 1979, are also required to have attained
    the standard required to achieve at least a Grade C
    in a GCSE examination in a science subject
    (including combined science).

http://www.tda.gov.uk/upload/resources/pdf/g/gcse-equiv-quals.pdf
    I assume you were born before 1979?

13. Yes! As I want to try for primary I was told I needed Maths, English and a science GCSE pass or equivalent. I've got the maths and english, just confused with the science grade. I live in Essex and I've read in an adult community learning booklet that Level 2 is equivalent to GCSEs A*-C, CSE grade 1, GCE O levels A-E, GCE O levels 1-6 and NVQ2.
    If this is correct then my GCE O level grade D in biology is a pass!

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'd double check that if I were you. I don't think that colleges will accept an O level D as equivelent to a GCSE pass.

15. oldsomeman

if you were born before 1979 do you not need the exams then/...........in my day you only needed 5 o levels and 2 a levels to go to teacher traing college!

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mrs blazer was born before 1979 (a long time before) and when she went to teacher training college as a mature student she had to get a C grade in Maths as her D grade at O level was not acceptible. In those days you didn't need science.

17. Does the OP have any other sciences i.e. chemistry or physics (grade C or higher). in which case she shouldn't need to worry about the biology I would think. I am a science teacher in secondary and I didn't take any biology exams, only chemistry and physics. And they still let me in and I taught all the science upto GCSE.

18. Your own Channel 4 did an experiment on this. 4 fresh grade A maths students were asked to take the equivalent 'A' level paper from the late 70's, I think it was.
    3 received an 'F' and one managed a 'D'. The lad with the 'D' was refreshingly honest and said he was embarrassed by it, as the 70's paper even allowed him to dispose of some questions and concentrate on his best fields, but that he was not used to being self analytical or using alternative methods.He could not think outside the box, so to speak.
    The footage was hastily and curiously removed in the evening news slots as lo and behold, Tony Blair again soapboxed 'incredible' academic progress under Labour.

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Do you not think the content of the exam is relevant?

I teach year 10 things I didn't learn until the second year of my degree - it's not hard, but you can't do it if you've not been taught it!

20. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The bad news is your grade D is unlikely to count....the good news is that you should have little difficulty getting the required grade!
    A couple of years ago I sat a number of GCSE papers as part of a local experiment....I obtained 'passes' in IT(Grade A*), Media Studies (Grade B),Geography (Grade B) and Chemistry (Grade C)...none of which I'd studied at O-Level (I also sat a couple of subjects I'd passed years ago at O-level and got A/A* in all....apart from Biology, somehow only got a B!)....I did no study for the exams and no coursework either, so the grades are only really a 'guide' - especially as I did no practical chemistry at all (I was excused chemistry at school too)...but they do suggest that the exam component of GCSEs today is nowhere near as rigorous as the old O-Level.