1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the next idea that needs to be ditched in education?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Nov 14, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Education seems to have developed a new trend, one where a new idea, craze or theory is quickly adopted only for it to be ditched with almost the same speed as it was introduced. Are you confused by all the changes? Stephen Petty looks at this latest worrying development in education and the implications for teachers:

‘No fewer than 18 educational items have been recommended for “ditching” in Tes online headlines in 18 months. Namely: attendance rewards (the latest, at the time of writing), differentiation, marking, homework, the three-part lesson, Ofsted, Ofsted grading, revision acronyms, education jargon, PowerPoints, stationery, holiday homework, SMART targets, golden time, whiteboards, boy-friendly approaches, “hero-headteachers” and uniform. The list doesn’t even include all the other items that educational voices have claimed should be “scrapped” or “axed”.’

Stephen Petty is head of humanities at Lord Williams's School in Thame, Oxfordshire.

What do you think about the constantly changing ideas in education?

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

My last school must have been ahead of the times then if this is a ‘new trend’. They were doing this for years.

kittylion and Morgelyn like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

They're so busy culling the over 50s that soon there won't be anyone left to remember why these 'new' initiatives failed the first time they were inflicted on schools.

Education will soon move into an endless cycle of pointless repetition, with nobody aware that it's happening. Like the proverbial goldfish swimming round the bowl.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This question has been covered at least seven thousand and twenty two times per month for the last eighteen years, but you try to brand it as a TES exclusive with "education seems to have developed a new trend".

Ach, dunno, guess I am just a bit miffed that you didn't start with "hi guys!"

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

No-accountability Capability.
    An ethical black hole some HTs find themselves irresistibly drawn into when costs must be cut or opinions crushed.

lanokia and towncryer like this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

While I agree with most of the things on the list above, I have never understood why everything has to be "tested" or "observed" or "justified". Children who first go to school are like sponges on the whole, they will absorb loads of stuff and enjoy it while developing skills in interacting with adults and other children. They also learn about right and wrong and dos and don'ts. But eveything is always tested, judged, mulled over, interfered with (mostly by idiots who are clueless). The kids should be left to delight in learning before any joy is knocked out of them by endless initiatives and made up rubbish filtering down from on high. Gove was the worst education minister we ever had and no doubt his legacy still remains. When everything is regimented and done off a script any possible innovation is lost, and the poor kids must get bored out of their skulls.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm all for ditching uniforms. I teach EFL and have taught many teenagers from many countries. None of them wears school uniform in their countries. In fact they seem to have their own uniforms of jeans, tops and trainers! Far more practical!

Lara mfl 05 and minnie me like this.
  8. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Flightpaths. Ditch flightpaths.

Pedagogical nonsense.

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Experienced teachers!

Oh no, wait... they've been axing that one for a while now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Just plain nonsense imo.

nomad likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Teachers are very often their own worst enemies in this respect. So often these daft initiatives are accepted (sometimes with alacrity) because they either believe it will enhance their performance or adopting it will enamour them to management.

The problem is further compounded by 'advisers' who, in order to have something to advise on, will happily promote this rubbish.

That said, I have no issue with a reasonable and affordable school uniform.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes this...

We bought in some outside advisers who use to be Ofsted inspectors to give us Deep Dive experience [insert infinite eye rolls]. The feedback is now being implemented. Lots of feedback, bountiful, multitudinous feedback... all of it just job justification for the advisers.

cassandramark2 and nomad like this.
  13. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Prior to reading this thread about some wonderfully weird and pointless initiatives I read the one about schools dealing with more complaints from parents. I can't help but wonder if the two things are related.

14. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

After reading one or two of the most recent comments on the 'Russian interference' thread, I think that maybe it would be a good idea to stop referring enthusiastic, academically inclined pupils to experts in a given field that they have expressed an interest in.

Who needs to bother with the big books (with no pictures)?

Just tell them to form some lazily complacent views in a vacuum instead. It would be better preparation for participation on here at the very least.

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I am so grateful for colleagues I was privileged to work with, who used to say, " We'll 'show willing' and try to implement some of the better ideas, but don't worry after a while all the latest initiatives, which are usually re-named old initiatives, will fall by the wayside and we can just carry on doing what we know works for our children.":D

Nanny Ogg and nomad like this.