1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the most successful strategy for getting children to line up after playtime?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Miss Fit, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Although blowing a whistle, standing still and then walking to the line has for generations been very effective do schools do anything differently?

2. I blow the whistle and say "Line Up, please"
    Works every time!

3. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I've recently tried lining them up in alphabetical order and it seems to work. No arguing with who should stand next to who and who was first etc etc!

4. Generally do the same, whistle followed by me saying 'You know you should be quiet' and then usually shouting 'Be quiet!'

5. With one class, who were quite compliant anyway, I sometimes pretended we were lining up in the army. We then had to walk in school in this way too (left, right, left, right!).

6. i usually get them to line up by 1st letter of their name, colour socks, colour eyes, birthday month, age, etc

then i choose a secret walker (i dont tell them who it is until we get to where we are going) if they walk sensibly & quietly they get a sticker, team point, etc

7. oops just realised it said 'after playtime!'

they line up on 1st whistle & are quiet on 2nd. then the quietest class goes 1st, whoever is quietest most at end of week get extra 5 min on fri afternoon

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I find the flick on the rear witha large riding whip usually gets them in line!
    that or shoutingin their ear lol

9. [​IMG]

10. We have cut down the number of times we get the kids to line up. Start of the day and after lunch they line up to be sent in. After playtimes, the whistle is blown, then the children are sent in by holding up housepoint colours. They walk in from their place there. Saves a good few minutes. There are still stragglers, but you aren't keeping all the kids waiting for them.
    Lining up for assemblies etc, they line up in register order. My class are trained to stand and tuck their chairs under their tables after they have replied for their name in the register.
    Seems to work as well as anything else.

11. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

As with Waterfin, we tend not to bother with lining up when outside and coming in. We do expect them to come in quietly and in an orderly fashion, but is it necessary to be in single file to do so?

12. forestje

forestje New commenter

The staff on duty blow the whistle once and the children stop what they are doing. On the second whistle they walk into lines ready to go into class.By that time the staff are ready and waiting to walk with them into the classroom.

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Do you mean lining up at break/lunch?

We just blow the whistle and everyone goes in. Saves time having to line up and everyone just goes in and sits down ready for the lesson.

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No lining up either expectation that children come in quietly without pushing

15. Sounds like a good idea, but do they not make noise when you're trying to do the rest of the register?

16. enthusiast

enthusiast New commenter

As a supply teacher I worked in a few schools that waved a flag to get children to line up or go in. I really liked the idea of getting different classes responding to different flags then going in independently - staggers entry so there's not such a mad rush!

I think I only worked in about 2 schools that managed to get children going inside in single file, successfully and silently - normally seems like a boring and pointless, energy sapping, battle! Some schools with really old school discipline managed to make it work through yelling and line inspections and stuff. Not my idea of fun. Others pick best line and they get a reward etc.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have stand still, pick up balls and be quiet on first bell (proper nice old fashioned one that the children offer to go and get if they are allowed to ring it, fabulous!). A quick reminder that the best class will get a tick on the chart, then walk to lines on second bell.
    Running, pushing, shoving doesn't happen as they all want to win. Stragglers hardly ever happen as they want to win.We don't need to shout as almost all children are quiet and only 4 classes out at a time, so not all that many children. They don't walk in to class silently at all, but are reasonably quiet and orderly.
    Class that wins most times that week get 10 mins of playtime on Fri afternoon. (Unless they are in my class and then chances are I'll forget and so they get about half an hour every now and then because I feel guilty!)

But I do wish we just had, bell rings and go straight in. No reason not to, our children are not all that badly behaved and can be trusted. Probably the reason is that some staff are still in the staffroom and so would have to get back to class on time!

18. good tip! just blowing whistle and sayin line up so doesnt work, especially in infants.

19. That may be your experience, but it works in our infant playgrounds.

20. No. Expectation from the start that it is a quiet time by the necessity of the kids needing to hear their names and the register monitor to hear their replies. I stand in the middle and monitor the line and the room. (I check the register before it is saved in case anyone is worried [​IMG]) We practice in the first week.
    It helps that we have tightened up a lot on times in the morning and they only have enough time to come in, give in any letters, I give any announcements re the timetable for the day, then it is register and straight to the hall for assembly.